Aging Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr DMoney

In Runtime
Hello, I have been on these forums for year. This was my go to place for computer builds. I am not looking to replace my current computer. I don't have the money for that. However, I am looking to upgrade the computer for one reason only. Less heat, but about the same power. My computer gets very hot at times. I haven't measured the actual temp readings, but I know most of my current heat is generated from my gpu. Also poor case design with air flow.

I am looking to spend no more than $200, for a new Gpu, and case.
I can go ati or nvida.

Current GPU:
8800GTS 640mb --- This thing gets hot, very hot.

I want a gpu with about the same power just less heat.
I am looking for a great case with very good airflow. Any help would be great

Hey I read your post and I have some suggestions and a comment I want to make.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 II Silver Steel / Aluminum / Plastic Computer Case

Both of these together will be around 154.99 total

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

with tuniq x2 together all that will be near 188.00 or 190.00

What kind of heatsink and thermal paste were you using before ?
May I suggest you try out tuniq x2 it will cool down the cpu a good bit and keep the heatsink from pushing off so much excess heat.

You could go for nvidia and their cards are just a lil bit cheaper than the higher up 5000 HD series.
I'll let somebody else help you on that decision.

Let me know what you think on the parts.

Hey I read your post and I have some suggestions and a comment I want to make.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 II Silver Steel / Aluminum / Plastic Computer Case

Both of these together will be around 154.99 total

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

with tuniq x2 together all that will be near 188.00 or 190.00

What kind of heatsink and thermal paste were you using before ?
May I suggest you try out tuniq x2 it will cool down the cpu a good bit and keep the heatsink from pushing off so much excess heat.

You could go for nvidia and their cards are just a lil bit cheaper than the higher up 5000 HD series.
I'll let somebody else help you on that decision.

Let me know what you think on the parts.

A HD 5570 is a bit of a downgrade from a 8800GTS 640mb from a gaming standpoint although it does use a ton less power.

I would go with a HD 5770 and a Antec 200. ATI has pretty much won this round from a power consumption and heat standpoint and the 5770 in particular is a pretty low heat/power card for it's performance, it's also a fair bit faster than your current card. The case has pretty good cooling stock and if you decide you need more you have the option to add two 120mm intake fans on the front for even more airflow.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - Antec TWO HUNDRED S Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Cheap case that has great airflow- cooler master Elite 310 w/ side panel window. Space for 3 120mm fans. This thing moves plenty of air when loaded. Keeps my GPU, CPU, and mobo cool. The internal temps never top 35 degrees Celsius, even at full load. I think newegg has these for 50 bucks or so. As for GPU, go with a GTS 450 or HD 5770. If you look hard enough, you may be able to find a case and GTX 460 for under $200.

Thanks for all your posts. I have a ZALMAN CNPS9500 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink so I am not worried abou my cpu. When I orginailly got my computer, I over clocked it quite a bit, but heat soon turned into a major issue. I relised that I should keep stock clock speeds to get my temps down as much as possible untill I get a different GPU and case, as it makes my entire motherboard and cpu temps rise.

GPU:
XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5
Possibe Cases:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel
AZZA Solano 1000 Black

The cooler master seems to be the better case. I know these are full tower cases, but if I am getting a case, I want it to be for furture builds too. However, I am not a big fan of all the flashy effects of these cases. My dream case is much more like this one. I just wished there was a full tower case that looked like this is my price range. Any help finding one like this would be great.

I've got my 300 sitting right to next to me. It looks larger than some of my previous mid towers, but it doesn't look as tall as a full tower.

If your budgets $200 but you're willing to spend more for a nicer case, why not pick up a better video card instead?

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -$59.99

Newegg.com - MSI R6850-PM2D1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity -$199.99

^That's what I'd get with a bit more than $200. For $200 I'd get this-

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -$59.99

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $139.99

=$199.98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom