Overclocking a 9800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

panlflzs

Solid State Member
I have an ATI built Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb) and the Omega drivers which let me change the memory and the core speeds of my card. I was wondering if anyone knew some good values to overclock to. Such as the core speed right now is 337.50 and I want to know what you would recommend setting that to so that it will still be stable. Thanks.

Every card and system is different. You have to find that out for yourself basically. It'll help if you have better than stock cooling or at the very least put some AS5 underneath your graphic cards heatsink....you could always use the 'Find optimal frequencies' control and let it run until it finds it. Other than that you just keep upping the memory and the core by 5 MHz increments and keep watching your temps and testing the card. I don't know about ATI but nvidias tool has a button that once you set the frequencies differently it says 'Test New Changes' and it wont allow you to apply the changes until you've tested it. The general rule is to just keep pushing it until you start to see artifacts in a benchmark or game, or if you simple freeze or crash then you KNOW you've gone too far. Artifacts will look like 'snow' on your screen and you'll notice dots and crap that shouldn't be there...at that point is when you back your card down. Make sure you don't use the 'Apply at startup' function until you've officially found your stability.

What Nubius said is good. If you have stock cooling, I dont know what the "average" is per say, but you can see my OC results in my sig. Keep in mind that I have an Artic Cooling VGA Silencer on it. But I have OCed beyond XT speeds on the GPU. You may not get much with stock cooling as it sucks.

I tried what you guys suggested. I started getting bizzare graphics like lines and such and reset it. It is back to the original now. What do you recommend to overclock it and do you recommend I flash the bios to a higher card? And by the way, I have a turbine fan, like the artic cooler, below the card to get the heat out.

What cooling device would you recommend? I have looked at some but none seem to support the 9800 pro 128mb. Could you post a link? Thanks

OK, here ya go, get this cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-113&depa=0

And if you got lines when you OCed, that is your memory. You can not OC that much at all. ag3 OCed his to 360 (720) and I got mine to 370 (740). That is about as high as you can get without added heaksinks to the memory. So you need to move the MHz up a little at a time. If you get any lines, back it down and test again. If you see white "snow" you OCed the GPU to much. If you get the cooler I put in this post (what i have) you will be able to OC the ell out of this. ag3 got his to 430, and I got to 465. The stock is 380, so I am happy. XT speeds are around 410. Let me know if you need anything else.

Should I get Revision 1 of the arctic cooling or revision 3? They both say they will fit the 9800 pro 128.

Don't use my current frequencies as an example as I am still in the process of overclocking. The R350 is capable of much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom