Beta member
Custom built desktop in a Raidmax case
Motherboard ASUS P5B-E
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
2GB RAM
Video EVGA 8800GT
Power supply at time of failure Antec Trio 650Watt
2 internal SATA hard drives, 1 DVD

I had windows 7 installed, the computer was booting up and down normally, no obvious issues. I left it in "sleep" mode and when I returned (2 or 3 hours later)the power supply was surging ~ once per second (as noticed via the fans and lights) and out to the usb mouse.

After a check over I chose to replace the power supply. The replacement power supply is a Raidmax Volcano 630 Watt. Once in place and powered up the symptoms are the same. There are no POST beeps and the computer does not enter BIOS stage.
I have selectively disconnected power to HDD's, DVD, video, fans ... The power supply
consistently surges.

I noticed a similar thread here - but from what I had read that person had not changed the power supply.

What's next in troubleshooting this problem, what would indicate a motherboard or CPU issue (motherboard vs CPU)?

I appreciate any assistance!

Try taking out the RAM, and run with one stick, if no success, try different slots.

Try resetting BIOS.

If another PSU does the same, I would then blame the board. Check for any blown capacitors on your board. Check the power cable connection on your board. Anything discolored?

I will try removing RAM next and update this thread after that.

The area of the motherboard that is viewable appears ok, I will need to remove the power supply to view the entire board.

ASUS has a troubleshooting questionaire to work through, they suggest removing both the RAM and video card. I will work through their steps before I request a warranty replacement for the motherboard.

Raidmax isn't what I would consider a Dependable power supply, but if your Antec was doing the same thing I would suspect the motherboard.

It's very coincidental that both power supplies have the same problem with the steady flashing.
Neither power supply relaying is tripping out interrupting the board power. That is the factor that I find very odd, if the problem is a ground fault or short the power supply should trip.

I'll update tomorrow after I remove RAM sticks one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom