New Motherboard help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud5437

In Runtime
I'm fixing up an old pc and have bought a motherboard bundle (ASUS P5S800-VM/S Motherboard 3.06GHz 1GB RAM Bundle) – I already have everything else I need so this at £50 was good enough. I'm just giving the computer to my brother so it's more than enough.

Anyways I put in new shield, lined up the board and screwed it in no problems. I connected it up following the user guide and think I have everything right. (I have put the link to the user guide I used at the bottom of this post). When I press the power button (very happy it went as this was my first time) the fan starts on the CPU and that's about it. It sounds like the computer is running but there is no beeping that normally happens before boot and nothing on screen – it just saying no input (what my monitor says when not getting a signal).

Can anyone shed some light on what I might have done wrong here as I have no clue.
As always thanks for any help

User Guide: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5S800-VM/e1767_p5s800-vm.pdf

First thing to cover is power connections, make sure you've got them all plugged in.
CPU 8-pin (or 4-pin), will go somewhere around the CPU.
Mobo 24-pin (or 20-pin), will go pretty much anywhere on the mobo.
If your graphics card needs power, make sure that's plugged in.

Next thing is to reseat the RAM - take it out and put it back in again.

Check connections on your monitor cable, it might just be loose. Also, if you have a video card as well as integrated, try it without the video card, as you may need to set it to use the video card - more on this if you end up needing to do this.

It's sometimes a good idea to have no hard drives/DVD drives/etc. plugged in to the motherboard, to simplify the problem.

Also, many cheap motherboards have no speaker, and thus no beeps, though that's pretty uncommon nowadays.

Thanks for that Yami.

I have the 4 pin up near the CPU and the Mobo 20 pin, both seem to be in fine. I plugged out both cd drives and hard drive as well as taking out the ram and putting it back in again. None of this has worked.
I was planning on just using on board graphics but just to check I pugged up an pold graphics card I had laying around and it's still the same. Cable to monitor is fine (checked it hooking up my laptop).

Can anyone help me here?

Make sure that the case-mount speaker is plugged in to the motherboard correctly. If possible, it would be much easier to decode the beeps than try to manually isolate the problem.

There is no case-mount speaker that i can see. there was a small speaker that plugged onto my old board but i cant see where that goes on this?

I had a working power supply sitting around so i have put that in to make sure it's not that and it's still the same. When I press the power button the fan on the mother board spins but that's about it. No beeps or anything else happens and there is no video output. I know it must be something I have not connected up correctly but I really am stuck :-(
Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom