Help. Worth Upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that many people have had success unlocking the 4th core and overclocking with the X3 455 which is the main reason behind choosing it.

If I get a bad one that the 4th core isn't stable on aren't the 2 fairly similar anyway? 3rd core would be beneficial with everything else other than gaming. Not to mention I'll get an aftermarket cooler and overclock it some. I appreciate all the comments/advice Mguire.

The Athlon 2s lack L3 cache. If unlock able i think it unlocks that l3 too, but a 555 is also unlock possible as well. So, chances of Phenom 2 X4 or Athlon 2 X4.

And this is why I ask! Phenom is roughly $15 more, not much but in a budget rig a few $15 here and there add up, sooo the question is, gaming on a 19" @ 1440x900 will I notice a difference between the two? Future proof no thanks, I'll rebuild in a year or so when I get my new job.

Toss up considering at that res your going more CPU bound than GPU. I cant honestly speak on how well the Athlon 2 overclocks but my friend just unlocked a 555 to quad (it can do tri too depending on what is bad and what isnt) and he clocked it to 3.8 on air fully stable.

Is the previously mentioned AMD processors a large improvement over the E7300 2.66Ghz I have now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom