Oh, What to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I think this fits best in this section.

I have a little home server, to backup stuff, stream videos. (not Hi def stuff)

Specs:
Intel D945GCLF2 (ITX)
Atom 33 @1.6Ghz
1GB DDR2 333Mhz

I have 2 HDDs in there, both WD6400AAKS 640GB. I have one split into a 30GB partition (OS), and the rest for storage. No optical drive, use external if needed.

The question is, should I put my SSD OCZ Vertex 30GB in there? I am guessing if I do this, that it will have less strain on the OS HDD? I currently have 16Gb free of my 29GB partition.

Now that I'm thinking about that, I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. (umm, think i made a boo-boo there when I did that, but it works fine :p) I am unfamiliar with any version of Windows Server. I tried to install some server version of Linux before (SUSE maybe?), and i got lost. I just need a GUI to get by. I do often need to remotely connect to it, being that it is headless. I can attach the VGA side of my monitor to it, but I often use it for repairing user's computers. It's a pain to go down there and disconnect it. I tried already, I cannot automatically remote connect it. Unless there is a program that lets you do that.

So suggest to me, what to do...

Okay let me see here.

a.) it is an Atom CPU. Not that powerful and made for low power consumption.
b.) how did you install 64 Bit Windows when the requirements are 2GB of RAM?
c.) why did you split 2x640 drives into 30GB partitions? That means you have to have somewhere around 22 partitions on each drive. Considering that any hard drive can have a max of 4 primary parititions you have 18 logical partitions or extended partitions? Seems like more work that it is worth.
d.) would installing a SSD onto a system with an Atom CPU and 1GB of RAM really be worth it? I mean your not going to utilize it that much more than what is already in there.

I dont see the point of installing a SSD Drive to that type of system. It is basically a netbook. Having an SSD in a netbook isnt going to gain you much as the system itself is slower compared to desktops, even of the lower range. But that is just my opinion.

Get a KVM switch so you can access the server manually when you need to do so. ;)

If you aren't using the SSD go ahead and drop it in there. If nothing else it will give you more storage space.

@Mak
a) yeah, the reason I bought it, for low power consumption.
b) I don't know how I got it on theree. :umm:
c) Theres one 30Gb partition on the firs drive.
1st HDD, 30GB primary patition, 610GB secondary partition.
2nd HDD, 640GB partition.
Sorry if that came out in gibberish.
d) I'm not looking for performance here. I am looking at it in usage. As I said above, won't the SSD running the OS put the primary HDD at rest? The way I understand it, the non-OS drives slow down while not in use. True?

@Trotter- I hate those. No offense, they are great, but I have enough cables under my desk...

btw, I found out how to connect to Ubuntu on my netbook. VNC.

Yes putting the OS on the SSD will put those drives to rest. It will also cause your SSD to get more read/write cycles put on it since it is a Server for all the PC's on the network. Since SSD drives only have a limited lifetime due to these read/write cycles arent you running the potential of having this drive die out when in use? I would think a mechanical drive would be more logical to use on a Server for this very reason. So that you dont run the risk of having the drive die from such limitations that the SSD's have.

I only say it's a server, because that is what I use it for. It is not using more than regular Windows credentials. I ran the 30Gb SSD as a OS drive since Christmas of last year when I got it. It won't be using more cycles than a standard desktop.

The choice is yours. I am merely pointing out the facts. You say it is a server cause that is what your using it for, that means it is getting more cycles than a standard desktop. A standard desktop would just access the drive and run the material. Instead now you not only have that machine having to access the data but another machine having access and getting data. That is more cycles. If you want to use it, use it. You dont have to listen to a single thing i said. I am just trying to warn you.

I transfer stuff from this computer to other computers all the time. But I do not do it directly from the SSD. I don't see how passing a file from E:/ to my netbook could harm the SSDs cycles.

Doesn't the OS itself do many cycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom