First time build need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeokoQD

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I've been scrolling through these and other forums and websites for the past month trying to figure out what I need in my build and to be honest I still don't completely know. It seems everyone has a completely different idea of what is what so here I am throwing myself at the feet of the pros for help. I simply want a machine that can play wow on the highest settings and never drop below 50-60 fps. It doesn't have to make me coffee and french toast but would be nice :) I don't know hardly anything about brands or what is compatible with what. So can someone please start me off in the right direction?
Thanks
NeokoQD

It seems everyone has a completely different idea of what is what

It might seem that every build we suggest is totally different but they all follow the same thought process. How much, what for, and so on.

Prices constantly change and so does the tech which is why even the pros ask for help so they make sure they didn't miss a deal or a new item that they could use.

Wow thanks for the fast replies! Yes I know of the components that make up a pc, I've upgraded my old one many times, just never built one from the ground up so that makes me cautious. As far as budget goes I would like to stay around $1000.00, maybe even a bit more if its better in the long run. On my last computer I had an i5 cpu (no idea which exact one) but after talking to some friends and reading around on here it sounds as though the i7 could rock my socks but then again Im not positive. Thanks again for the quick replies.

As far as compatibility, you only need to worry about a couple things.
First off, your graphics card must be compatible with your motherboard. Most graphics cards on the market today use either PCI Express x16 2.0 or 2.1. Most motherboards on the market have at least one, and up to 5 or more PCI-E x16 2.0/2.1 slots.
Then there's the CPU. The only thing you need to worry about is the socket. Current Intel sockets include LGA 1366 and LGA 1156. Current AMD sockets include AM3 and AM2+. The CPU and mobo must have the same socket.
There are a few other compatibility checks, most of which relatively minor. The PSU must have enough watts and must have the right connectors for your equipment (make sure it's 24 pin if you have a 24 pin mobo, enough SATA connectors, enough PCI connectors, etc.). RAM, obviously- use DDR3 in a DDR3 mobo, ddr2 in a DDR2 mobo, etc. If you have SATA hard drives, make sure you have enough SATA ports on your mobo. If you have IDE devices make sure your mobo supports them. Make sure your case connectors are supported by the motherboard.
That's pretty much it. There really aren't as many compatibility issues as it seems- really it's just a bunch of minor nitnoid things. I'll try and give you an estimate build from Newegg if you like.

Which i5 do you have? What's the purpose of the computer? If you have a i5 750 or 760 and use it for games I don't see the need to get a i7... For WOW I would say that any i5 is enough. If you really want to upgrade the CPU I would suggest to wait for 2011 since new intel cpus will be released.

What's your current build so we can give you a proper advice.

Thanks for the build Abstract Hero, my only question on it would be is that more machine than I need? I don't play any super high end games pretty much wow and starcraft, I just want to be able to keep 50-60 fps at all times. And thank you redfish for explaining the compatibility concerns I had. And I would love an estimate build if you have the time ty. And as for my old i5, its not that it couldn't handle what I was doing I just didn't know if I should step it up to the i7 since everyone seems to have great things to say about it, my last computer I bought in 2003 and have been upgrading it ever since and just feel its time to build anew. Thank you for all the replies.

^^ he says he already has a i5 setup, don't see the point of recommending a i5 again...

NeokoQD I still think it's a waste of money to change the cpu now, I would wait for the new processors to come out. Get CPU-Z and tell us exactly what are your current specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom