4 memory slots- 2 sets of different RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven Mc.

Beta member
This is Just a general question about dual-channel memory, (probably dumb) But If I wanted 8 gigs of memory, I would use two sets of Dual channel ram of 2 gigs per-stick. Question: Since 4 slots Run as 2 sets of 2 slots, Can the sets be slightly different? (brand, operating frequency) I ask because I can save 6000 yen If I could use the 2 good sticks I have in my current machine along with new RAM....

yep, aslong as the motherboard supports 8gigs and the new ram you're getting is the same type (ddr2, ddr3), it'll work.

You'll want to have them as close as possible. I.e. voltages the same, frequencies the same (if they're different frequencies, it will take the speed of the slower one). Voltages will be the biggest one, however. I've done it before, but it can cause headaches sometimes.

Mixing RAM will work if done right, but it's never recommended because you're not using matched ICs. You want all the sticks to use the same voltage, the same timings, and the same frequency. If one set operates at DDR2 800 and the other set at DDR2 1066, the 1066 will have to run at 800. If the first set runs at 4-4-4-12 and the other at 5-5-5-15, the first set will have to run the relaxed timings of 5-5-5-15.

Alright, I'm building my third DAW and going with Phenom x6 1055T so I think 8 gigs should give it what it needs. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom