URGENT: I installed a new CD writer and i encountered problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaye034NJ

Solid State Member
hi there! i installed a new CD writer in my PC and was assisted by my friend who already experienced installing one. anyway, i'm using windows me.

we encounterd problems such as my pc cannot detect the CD writer. then we swapped the IDE and entered the BIOS setup. the PC detected that the primary iDE master is the hard disk and the secondary IDE master is the CD writer, the problem in here is that the primary IDE slave which is connected to the CD-ROM cannot be detected. we tried again to swap their connections but still the PC cannot detect either primary or secondary IDE slave although one of it has already its connection either to the CD-ROM or CD Writer.

could somebody please help me with this? i badly needed your assistance...

hope to hear from you guys asap.. :( :confused: :dead:

Okay, make sure the jumpers for the second IDE channels are set properly. One as master, the other as slave. You probably have to set a cdrom on the second channel as master. If that doesn't work, try setting both devces to cable select.

take both the cd and cdrw drive,put jumpers on cable select,then plug into secondary ide...then go into bios,and go to "auto detect ide"let everything detect,save and exit,when computer boots to Windows ME(Microsoft's Error)you should see both cd drives in "My Computer"

pcparts4every1 said:
take both the cd and cdrw drive,put jumpers on cable select,then plug into secondary ide...then go into bios,and go to "auto detect ide"let everything detect,save and exit,when computer boots to Windows ME(Microsoft's Error)you should see both cd drives in "My Computer"

that will only work if his cables accept cable select, not all cable do

silence782 said:
Okay, make sure the jumpers for the second IDE channels are set properly. One as master, the other as slave. You probably have to set a cdrom on the second channel as master. If that doesn't work, try setting both devces to cable select.

My primary IDE has two channels and the secondary IDE has only one channel. So I attempted to connect my primary IDE master to the hard disk and the slave to the CD-RW. I connected the secondary IDE master to the CD-ROM. When I entered the BIOS setup, it was detected that my primary IDE master is the hard disk and the secondary IDE master is the CD-RW and not the CD-ROM. After that I exited the BIOS setup then it prompted Invalid boot something.. ehehe.. i forgot the whole phrase.. :p

They are talking about jumpers on the back off your devices. Look and see what they are set on. On should be set as master and one as slave. Then, you can hook them up. If your cables and computer support it, you can set them as stated above. Also, get rid of Windows ME, it is the worst OS on the face of the planet. Go get Windows 2000 or XP. Even Win98 is better.

pcparts4every1 said:

primary IDE master is connected to the hard disk and the slave is to the CD-ROM. my secondary IDE is connected to the CD-RW since it only has one channel. the BIOS setup IDE configuration is already in auto detect. Both master and slave. But when i tried those connections, it still cannot detect one as slave. :(

now i'm sacrificing not to use my CD-ROM drive and use the CD-RW as reader/writer... :dead:

vance43211 said:
that will only work if his cables accept cable select, not all cable do

if not all cable do, do I need some configurations for it? i dunno what to do... *tears tears* :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom