Need graphics card and PSU recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
So our daughter gave my wife Civilization V and she is liking it so far. She can't get too far into the tutorials before it BSODs. The problem looks to be RAM (plan on testing it later tonight), but she is now interested in upgrading to a better graphics card (which will necessitate a better PSU).

I will be going through NewEgg (obviously), but I need the best bang for the buck in a card that will play Civ5 smoothly as well as a PSU to power it. I am fine in picking out RAM, but all the new Nvidia cards have got me confused because there is no way to reference one to another as far as graphical power, nor am I sure which is just a renamed GPU. I am fine with AMD/ATI GPUs, but want the best for the money.

She is currently running an Athlon II x3 445, a 7600GS, 4GB DDR2, and a 300W PSU.

Oh, and I am not independently wealthy, so something like a 5890 or GTX 480 is way out of bounds.

Well, I'd go with a 500W, just cause it gives the headroom,

Here's a 4850 for 89.99 after mir: Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
And a corsair 500vx for 49.99 after mir: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

That'd be killer.

But I think you could get cheaper,
Heres a 430cx for 34.99 after mir: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply
And a 5670 @79.99 after mir Newegg.com - XFX HD-567X-YNF3 Radeon HD 5670 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card with Eyefinity.

Though you could run the 4850 on the 430... is states b450W, but meh.

Good suggestions. I am currently thinking about the possibility of either a GTS 450 so I can have it Folding when she is not using the computer, or giving her my GTX 260 core 216 and getting a GTX 460 for me. Just thinking, mind you. ;)

Anyone else have something to chime in with?

Nice find on that PSU. 10% off, a $25 MIR, and a five year warranty. I will have to try to get this decided on and ordered before they run out. Too bad they aren't offering it in a combo with a decent video card.

:umm: honestly, that PSU was just what popped up when I typed in ANTEC, 500-600W, and 80 PLUS BRONZE certification. PSUs are one of my not-so-educated areas. It's amazing what one can do when one has no idea what they're doing.
I thought the GPU was pretty neat- had I not just bought an HD 5770 I would have gone for that myself, and opted for SLI when I saved up the extra $40. $200 for a 400-series SLI is pretty impressive.

Meh. After going over the budget it looks like this ain't happening any time real soon. :( I will have to order her some RAM, but that'll be it for a while.

I just used one of those Corsair Builder Edition power supplies (500w) to fix a friends PC. Works Great, Looks Great :thumbsup:

I have a couple of GTX 280's around here somewhere if your interested.

GTX 280? I started to ask why you weren't using them, but then I remembered your 480's. :D

I am interested, for sure. How much blood do I need to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom