First time building a computer, and would like someone to review my parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torrain

Solid State Member
Hi there. I decided to try my hand at building a computer because my current computer isn't good, and I don't want to buy pre built ones anymore :(. So here is the list I've come up with to include in my computer:

Case:

Either:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black RC-932-KWN3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Side window

or
Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Graphics:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Processor/Mobo:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

If the above combo expired, the combo had these parts:
Processor:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
MOBO: Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor cooling:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

Optical Drive:
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

HDD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Cable for Optical Drive (because it is OEM) :
Newegg.com - OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Cable, Straight to Straight W/ Metal Latch, Red, Backward Compatible 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps

I would appreciate it if you guys would comment on these parts and/or suggest better ones.

Thanks!

great job dude, very nicely done. if this is your first build, it seems to me like you really did your homework and chose awesome parts.

the ONLY thing i would change is the harddrive, get this instead:

well my internet is going very slow and im about to throw my computer across the room, so i will just tell you what which to get, just plug it into the search bar on newegg and youll see it...

just search " Western Digital Caviar Black " and choose the one with the amount of gigs you need.

also, get the HAF 932... you will be much happier with it over the Rosewill challenger.

you dont need to buy a cable, your mother board will come with a cable for the optic drive.

agin, great job dude... only other thing i would suggest is try to find these same parts in combo deals, that can literally shave $120 off the overall cost.

I agree with him great job. Just a mention and not necessarily a problem, the Hyper 212 keeps heavily overclocked i5s and i7s a tad bit warm for most people. If you keep it under 4ghz itll be fine though.

And Sean he did have a Caviar Black 640GB chosen unless he ninja edited before i saw the thread lol.

the Caviar black has a bigger Cache, 32MB compared to 16MB with the blue.

the heat sink will come with thermal compound.

and caviar black have a longer 5yr warranty, blues have 3yr.

you'd be using the stock heatsink, which comes with a layer of thermal paste already pre-applied. if you got an aftermarket heatsink, then you might need to buy some separately since some come with their own and some don't.

no there's no noticeable difference between the 750 and 760, the 760 is 133mhz faster because intel increased it's multiplier from x20 (which is what the 750 has) to x21. you could hit 4ghz+ with either cpu, so this little difference in clock speed is nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom