I don't see a difference.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoroff

Baseband Member
My g/f and I both have an ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card, except that I have an OC version of it on my PC. What exactly does OC have on a video card because I see NO difference in graphics in World of Warcraft. What difference is my card "supposed" to make?

can you tell me which OC model you have, and i can determine how much its over clocked. ? most times the factory oc's aren't much of a performance boost, maybe 5+ FPS that's about it.

I have the Gigabyte GV-R5770SO-1GD R

We both see a maximum of 60fps in the game. Graphics details are virtually the same and we run the same screen resolution.

With factory oc's you really won't. as its under 100mhz oc.... But using a free oc'ing program, you can boost that.

As youre both at 60fps, have you disabled vsync in the games menu??

Not sure if vsync is disabled or not. I'll have to check that. Should it be on or off?

I'd be interesed to see how much I can get out of this video card but I'm a complete noob ( I mean complete) when it comes to this stuff. I would be woried that I would ruin this new machine I just had build last week...lol
If OC'ing was totally risk free, I "might" try it on this card, but not at the risk of throwing away hard earned cash that this rig cost me.

Vsync matches your monitors refresh rate/frequency, with a 3D applications frame rate.

In other words, It doesn't let your frame rate go above your monitirs refresh rate.

85 Hz. = 85 FPS
100 Hz. = 100 FPS
and so on.

prevents what you call tearing on your screen when playing games.

Not sure if vsync is disabled or not. I'll have to check that. Should it be on or off?

I'd be interesed to see how much I can get out of this video card but I'm a complete noob ( I mean complete) when it comes to this stuff. I would be woried that I would ruin this new machine I just had build last week...lol
If OC'ing was totally risk free, I "might" try it on this card, but not at the risk of throwing away hard earned cash that this rig cost me.

Overclocking is quite easy on gpu's.

Though its been years since i've had an ati card, but with my nvidia card, I found the highest sold factory overclock. I then set my fan speed at 75%, and boosted my core/shader clock and memory speed up 20Mhz and ran 3dVantage. Watching the temps, keeping under 80C.

If it passes, I note my score, mainly gpu scores, then bumped my clocks up another 20mhz and tested again.

Keep doing this till your temps get too hot, or Vantage fails. Then back the clocks back to the 2nd last good run. If you want to fully tweek, this is where you then bump just the memory and run... if it fails then go back and bump just one setting and find which crashed you, then continue upping the other...

I also never set my overclock to run at startup, that way, if it buggers, a reboot will erase it.

Its worth the time effort as its free and easy performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom