Replacing Graphics Card fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heatsinks (the little ones) go on the memory chips, and the main heatsink and fan go on the gpu chip. Depending on the memory chip placements, you might stick them first, but without a better card picture, or someone whos done it... i don't know.

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for all the advice patonb and others. I am living with it for now(the fan doesn't stick anymore but it vibrates) because I just had to fix my car but I will probably get this as soon as I can.

Also how would I get the heatsinks to stick to the memory chips? Their thermal tape? I don't think TX-2 would hold them on.

The memory/ram sinks should have a sticky thermal tape applied to them at the factory. I recommend cleaning the actual memory chips with alcohol before trying to apply the ram sinks.

Wow, it takes me a week to reply and you guys reply in 10 minutes.

The picture from amazon is of the card that I have (has fan obviously) and I think if I unscrew the screws holding the fan down then the black brackets will still be attached to the card. Would this be a problem with trying to install the new fan? I haven't tried to take the fan off yet but might on Saturday to see what happens if I do.

Here is the picture again. It wasn't loading on the earlier page at least for me.

View attachment 4536

If your going with the fans and sink suggested dont even touch the screws. There are 2 plastic stud clips on the left and right of the heatsink. Release those. The screws don't need to be removed.

Ok, I can see those in the picture. I never noticed them before. How would you go about releasing those (pull up, unscrew)? Does the new fan have clips that go in the holes or how does the new one attach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom