Lapping/TIM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfish

Intelligent Metalhead
I have a few questions about my CPU and VGA heatsink.
1) Would lapping the stock HSF and applying new TIM make a noticeable diff in temps? What would the difference in temps be for lapping the average aftermarket CPU HSF?
2) What is/are the best thermal paste(s) for CPU and/or VGA HSF's?
3) Is it feasible to lap the stock VGA cooler?
4) Would using the stock VGA reference cooler but applying new, higher-quality TIM make a reasonable difference in temps?
5) Know of any 5770-compatible aftermarket coolers?
Thanks.

1) There would be a difference but it could be minimal where as an aftermarket could should a much bigger decrease in temps even without lapping..
2) Tuniq TX-2 is best for the price.
3) Possible but not worth the effort.
4) It could but it varies card to card. It depends what the manufacturer applies stock.
5) Friendly service, great products and prices!

when you lap a heatsink your removing a layer of metal making the heatsink itself slightly thinner. With an after-market heatsink you can shim the retention bracket to make up for the thinner heatsink. But you can't shim most stock heatsink so it won't fit quite as tight as it should, which can cause the cpu to run hotter.

Thanks for the advice, slay. Now that I think about it that actually makes sense... I should have thought of that before.
I see plenty of references to the Tuniq TX-2- it must be an excellent product to have so many fans. If I have a little extra cash left over I might go with the GELID GC-Extreme- any thoughts on this? It's a few bucks more and comes with less, but anything to reduce the temps... I'm looking to sleeve my cables as my case is a mess right now, so that might take a chunk out of my already diminutive budget.
The link was helpful. I know they make them but I've never seen any VGA HSF listed specifically for the 5770, until now. I do kinda like the looks of the reference cooler, though. I thought it would be nice to keep the aftermarket option open anyways. There's always water cooling- if I could save up the money.

I think that I want to try and OC my CPU. My problem is my case- it cannot fit CPU coolers taller than 150mm. Any suggestions for a relatively low-profile CPU cooler that would still leave some OC headroom? I've been looking at 120mm coolers, but very few of them are under 150 mm tall.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think that if they're both 92mm I'm going with the cheaper one- as always, I have a tight budget. If my MIR ever gets through I might go for it soon.

I decided to splurge and took advantage of Newegg's black friday deal on the HAF 932. I bought a larger heatsink to go with it- the Xigmatek Balder. Now I have another large and abstract question.

Since this is a core-contact HSF, how do I go about applying thermal grease and/or lapping? The guide says not to lap these types of HSFs but it seems to me like there's a huge possibility for uneven surface with the design and everything... And wouldn't any paste just fill in the cracks between the block and heat pipes? I'm a little confused by the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom