Hard Drive Connector Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SignatureSeriesOwner

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm trying to install a spare 40GB Western Digital HD into my Dell Poweredge 600SC as a slave drive, and I'm running into a couple of issues. Keep in mind, this is the first time I've ever done this.

Now, the computer accepts IDE HD's, and the hard drive is a IDE, so it isn't like "I'm trying to make a SATA connect into the IDE plug" or anything, but the connector, as well as the slot on the back of the hard drive are male. Both of them have prongs, so, I cannot plug the connector in. The primary drive, has a male connector, but the slot on the back of the HD is female, so the connector just plugs right in.

Do I need some form of adapter to make this work, or where have I gone wrong? All 4 connectors on the data cable are exactly like this, and I've double checked to ensure I haven't missed one, so I don't know where to go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

The server has IDE as well, that's not the issue. You're right though, most old servers did have SCSI interfaces.

OP, I think those old servers have a 'backplane' card which the IDE channels plugged into. It's like a separate PCB that the drives plug into (with power ports right next to the data ports). Can you see that?

There is a "card" which plugs into the top green connector on the motherboard, that has two connectors on the end of the card closest to me. One, has the data cable plugged into it, the other is blank. Is this the card you are referring to?

Here is what I am referring to:

100_0249.jpg

Is that the card which you were speaking of?

This is the comparison of the hard drive connections, as you can see, one is male, and one is female. Both are IDE drives.

100_0250.jpg

(Master)

100_0252.jpg

(Slave)

Any more assistance guys? I'd really like to use it, but it would appear I need an adapter that would allow me to plug the male end of the connector into the adapter, then the adapter into the male end of the hard drive, to complete the connection. Does such a thing exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom