Mobo woes, move on or kick the bucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure you can use DriverSweeper, get all the drivers out, and put it on the new board.

I've heard it being done, but it'd be risky, no?

Edit: And mine is Retail.

It is risky to do so, but, Windows tend to be somewhat forgiving when it comes to changing motherboards, but it DOES usually depend upon your license.

Just to be on the safe side, you should back up your data (I swear this is a redundant phrase anymore around here).

If possible, in safe mode, remove ALL drivers, and anything specific to your hardware that you currently use. You can then try to swap in the different board, and attempt a REPAIR INSTALL, in other words, have windows repair it self, and you *should* be able to get in to install the new drivers.

OEM systems are for the most part ok with this, and VL systems don't usually have issues with this, but, I am sure there is a license type out there somewhere that would have a sissy fit.

is there no way he can create an Image of his system?
No. That will carry over his current drivers.
Pretty sure the image target machine(s) need to have the same hardware as the source machine. That and the fact that Windows OEM license only applies to one motherboard. New motherboard = new license.
Exactly. It will require a reinstall.
I'm pretty sure you can use DriverSweeper, get all the drivers out, and put it on the new board.

I've heard it being done, but it'd be risky, no?

Edit: And mine is Retail.
Driver Sweeper only gets rid of video drivers and stuff like that. It would not get rid of the core drivers, like chipset drivers which are used by the mobo to communicate with the OS. You change the mobo which is different than the current one, Windows 99.9% of the time will not boot and require reinstall.
It is risky to do so, but, Windows tend to be somewhat forgiving when it comes to changing motherboards, but it DOES usually depend upon your license.

Just to be on the safe side, you should back up your data (I swear this is a redundant phrase anymore around here).

If possible, in safe mode, remove ALL drivers, and anything specific to your hardware that you currently use. You can then try to swap in the different board, and attempt a REPAIR INSTALL, in other words, have windows repair it self, and you *should* be able to get in to install the new drivers.

OEM systems are for the most part ok with this, and VL systems don't usually have issues with this, but, I am sure there is a license type out there somewhere that would have a sissy fit.
This was true back in XP days. But not any more. With the new setup with Microsoft saying new mobo = new license you darn tootin they have it setup to error out on mobo changes or someone could easily just swap their OEM hard drive out to a new machine without issues. Back in those days all you had to do was a repair install. Which you cant do now. Microsoft made it much harder when it comes to switching mobos. Vista and Win7 will not boot if the mobos are not exactly the same. If it does, it will run like uber crap.

Interesting, I will have to try to find a way to solve this issue, do you know if thats anytime the motherboard is changed with the same model? Does it check for some type of identification of the motherboard?

Isn't there a way to slipstream programs into Windows 7 to install automatically? I remember you could do this with XP.

If it is the same make and model there wont be an issue. This will occur only when you change mobo's. So if you have an install with mobo "a" and switch it mobo "b" Vista/Win7 have a 99% chance they wont boot. If by the chance you do get it to boot, your are likely to get BSoD's very often as well as sluggish performance due to the fact that the drivers installed for the core components do not match.

Windows does a hardware profile, making note of mobo and other parts when it does an install. Which is why when you try to activate an OEM that do not match the parts used for the original OEM activation it wont pas validation and force you to call.

I dont know of the exact items it takes down in this profile, but i can bet you that it notes the mobo for just this reason. You will also have to note that the option to repair a Vista/Win7 has been removed. The only "trick" to getting this to work is to be able to boot to the OS in trouble, insert the disk and from there perform an "upgrade" install. But if you cant get to the OS at all, then this trick does nothing for you cause you wont be able to boot. Not to mention the fact that the "repair" install of Vista/Win7 doesnt preserve your settings or anything and takes you back to a default Win7 install is another thing. Cause you just performed an upgrade to the system. So you have to redo everything you had done previously.

So for the ability to switch mobo's and save your current install with Vista/Win7 is a long shot at best. I have seen it done, but 99% of the time people end up doing a full reinstall cause something isnt right. Cause the OS is corrupted before you do the upgrade install and after the upgrade things are not right. It is the same problem that has been seen since pre-XP days when performing upgrades. If anything is wrong before the upgrade starts, it carries over. Which is why it is always recommended to do a full install over an upgrade.

Isn't there a way to slipstream programs into Windows 7 to install automatically? I remember you could do this with XP.
Sadly no. There was a tool called nlite that you could do this with XP. There was a similar tool called vlite for Vista, but there is no tool that can be used to do it with Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom