Mobo woes, move on or kick the bucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Specs in sig below.

Today I learned that on my i5 ASUS board, 2 RAM slots were bad. The memory being in them just didn't POST. So I have to use 4 out of my 8GBs on slot 2 and 4. So I will have to RMA the board. You know how long some RMAs take? I'd need another board to replace this one.

By many of my friends, knowledgeable in the ways of computers, are recommending me to switch to an AMD Phenom II x6 system. If I RMA my current board, get it back, and sell it along with my Intel i5 760 CPU, I can use the money to fund for that.

If you are a vivid TF member, you shall also know I am selling my 775 system as well. That money can go toward either that, or my current system.

So, is it worth the jump to AMD?

Note: I am within 30 days of my newegg purchase, but I have lost the retail packaging, unavailable for a Newegg replacement or return. Also, CPUs are not refundable.

I only play SC2. Otherwise, I just play online flash games.

I do do some work on Photoshop CS5, but this isn't professional stuff, just novice stuff. While running it on my i5, my CPU temps didn't even move.

So really, no to that.

I'd say a Phenom X6 (note how i put these words) Would be more FUTUREPROOF, E.G when programs start to use more than 4 cores. It'd probably have better performance than your i5 in Graphicswork, Probably about on Par in games, not to mention it has turbo boost, which can clock down three cores and put the others up to around 3.3GHZ theoretically, Also the AM3 Motherboards are great. I'd say go for the AMD as you can probably sell your i5 for the same price as you can get the 1055T for.

**Also the Phenom's run so low (temperature wise) I've seen on a review site which is very reputable that even on 100% load with a cheap OCZ vendetta CPU it didnt exceed 30C and even when OC'D to 4GHZ didn't go over 45C (those chips also OC greatly) You'll also be supporting a smaller company and not a big evil one that tries to drive others out of business - me being a little fanboy =D.

you could buy another board of the same exact model as your current one, use that and rma your current one. your pc will be fully functional again and when you get the rma board back, sell the rma board.

idk if that's the best option for you though, just throwing ideas.

you could buy another board of the same exact model as your current one, use that and rma your current one. your pc will be fully functional again and when you get the rma board back, sell the rma board.

idk if that's the best option for you though, just throwing ideas.

What about if he had the option right now, to get the X6 + a new Motherboard for around the same price as his i5/motherboard ( if he sells them ) which would you say would be most worthwhile to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom