Maximum Safe Temperature for HD 5970?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
Starting to overclock my GPUs... does anyone know if there is a published safe temperature for the HD5970? I'm using a very helpful guide that I was pointed to, and it says to try to keep temperatures under 85, although 100 can be safe (but not recommended), but it is a generic guide for ATIs in general, and not card specific. The reason I'm asking is that it seems like each new generation runs a little hotter, so a generic guide might take an approach of "by keeping it low, this makes sure nobody with five-year-old heat-sensitive GPUs fries their card".

Also, say you are going with 85 as your target, and 100 as the "you're going to die" value; does this mean 85 average or 85 peak? Say it gets to 95, but the fan kicks on so hard at that point that it is back to 85 in five seconds; would you count this as 85 or 95? Obviously, I would never let it peak at 100 if that's the max.

when i was overclocking my 5870 ( before it was watercooled ) i wouldnt let it get over 90°. 85 is the " standard " for max GPU temps.

now my 5870 is water cooled, with a voltage of 1.35 and core overclocked to 1080, my idle temp is 30° and load temp is 47°. ;)

The watercooling seems inevitable, but I want to take a little break from building. I give it a month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom