In game lag/freezes RAM related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually looked at my MSConfig before, I've made sure that nothing is running that shouldn't be, and made things like camera software not run at startup, as well as itunes updates and things like that, processes are usually very low, I haven't watched while I'm in-game though, and I've been doing my best to keep this copy of windows as clean as possible, it's win7 64.

To be on the safe side, have you run any virus/malware scans? if for no other reason, to have a control. I would at least run Malwarebytes just to double check, sometimes these things can be hiding.

Another thing to consider, and this may be a stretch, but some wireless adapters spike usage way up randomly, I know mine does. My music sometimes skips in my players, sometimes videos, etc, and my machine isn't anything to sneeze at. This is even after a fresh write, too. Are you using a wireless card or are you hard cabled?

As soon as we rule everything like that out we can be utterly sure if it's hardware related.

I do run windows defender, but that's mostly it, and it's been doing this on this install and my old one, I'll run that one

I connect to the internet with a cat5e cable straight to the cable modem (verizon fios).

As soon as we rule everything like that out we can be utterly sure if it's hardware related.
^^ I like it

Ahhhh I envy you. I want FiOS but this area doesn't support it.

Windows Defender is kinda meh in my opinion. My personal preference is running Microsoft Security Essentials with periodic scans from Malwarebytes. Other good programs for either troubleshooting or periodic scans are Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware (though make sure you don't turn on the realtime protection, they aren't so great. In fact sometimes I just uninstall SuperAntiSpyware after I'm done with it...). CCleaner is a good cleanup program for junk files and registry errors as well.

We got FiOS about 2 years ago, we live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, we're in a wealthy-ish area, although there's lotsa farms in our area, it's actually kind of surprising that they came to our neighborhood, i guess we just got lucky XD

back on topic...

I ran the Malwarebytes full scan (free version) and it didn't come back with anything :( I'm goin to bed soon, so tommorow around 3:00 when I get home I'll have some memtest results.

Will do.

Is Corsair not necessarily a good brand to go with? I see alot of bad reviews on their stuff on newegg, is there a better brand to go with?

Corsair has really high quality RAM actually, they're normally my brand of choice. The only reason I got G.Skill this time around was based on pricing (at the time) and because I've heard great things about the PI Black series overclocking.

I got ...news, not sure if it's bad or good, but the RAM passed 8 tests, 9 if you count the one I ran last night. This is good because now we know the RAM isn't bad, but bad because now we have to look elsewhere to figure out what's causing the freezes. Here's a picture from today:

(click for a bigger one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom