build questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A factory overclocked 955 or is the 955 a factory underclocked 970.

You can try to spin the facts anyway you want but that is just not true.

If your not going to overclock then you should buy the fastest cpu you can afford. I'm siding with the 970.

I tend to cut back on whatever I can to allow more of the budget to be allocated for other components that could otherwise bottleneck the system. Similar performance would be seen between the 955 and the 970, so that's an easy call for me.

Just need to add opticals, a heatsink, and determine which GPU to go with. There are so many different GTX 460's, what's the difference between them all and the price differences? Also, since it is an AMD build, should I go with an ATI/AMD card? I read in another thread that the HD6850 is equal to the 460, but I didnt see either of them in the GPU list in the stickies.

Looks real good. Great case choice.

Well you can go either way for gpu I think the 6870 is a little pricey and the 460 is known to be best bang per buck hence I chose it. The sparkle I suggested is the best non 1gb 460 right now and it has a lifetime warranty which you want. If you are looking at 1gb 460s I would go with Sparkle again. Newegg.com - SPARKLE SXX4601024D5UNM GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Well there are tons of differences that really I couldn't explain well myself. lol
All I can tell you is the 6850 is better if you have the means to purchase it. The 460 is a great card nonetheless and will run most games decently. Its really how much does gaming mean to you and how much your willing to spend.

well I found this and it has helped give me some info but not really brought me any closer to an answer:

AMD Radeon HD 6870 & HD 6850 Review - Page 15

Basically, the 460 1gb and 6850 go back and forth and are pretty equal with the 6850 being slightly ahead in most situations. However, the other things I have found to consider are that the 6850 is a lot bigger and runs hotter (but uses less power, somehow). Also, a have been reading a lot people's posts saying that driver support for ATI cards is crappy.

With that Antec case you won't have to worry about heat and your not overclocking so heat matters even less.

I've always used nvidia so I can't comment on how well AMD formerly ATi does on the drivers front.

I've had all sorts of issues with the 4000 series and drivers, but I think the newer drivers are better. I haven't had a single driver issue with my 5770 in the (short) time that I've had it, excluding the one caused by an unstable OC. I may be biased towards ATI, but I'd go for the 6850 if I were you.

I have been riddled with nothing but driver problems with ATI but thats me. A little OC on a 460 can tip the tide and a big OC will be closer to 470/480 performance on the 1gb model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom