What temp should i7 980x be at idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I'm not at home right now, so don't quote me on this figure, but I think that the CPU temp in the BIOS screen (where it should be fairly idle, obviously) was 36C. From what I'm seeing on a few reviews, that may be a little high. Should I go in and redo my thermal paste? It was my first try, so I may have spread it a little thin.

That's quite decent for a stock cooler; if you have that then it's fine (can't see a mention of your heatsink in your signature).

What's the ambient temperature in that room?

Yes, that's the stock cooler... ambient temp in my room should be around 25-26C. There are people on some websites claiming that they got stock temps in the mid-20s; supposedly, the stock cooler on the 980x is far better than most stock coolers. Just wondering if they are full of it or not lol.

That's a dream machine! Even if it is better than most other stock coolers, why not spring for an after market heatsink? I'd say it's worth the investment, especially with that 980X!

That's a dream machine! Even if it is better than most other stock coolers, why not spring for an after market heatsink? I'd say it's worth the investment, especially with that 980X!

I'm probably eventually going to go water-cooled; right now I'm just seeing how much I can push it with air... if I can get decent results, I may just stick with air and get a better heatsink.

If this makes any difference in the CPU temp (I'm sure it does), I'm currently running "quiet" case fans instead of "power" case fans. I do have the heatsink fan set on the power speed, though, as it's fairly quiet.

If your going to overclock the cpu set the cpu fan speed to Manual Mode - 100%

Your Bios temperature reading, is not the cpu temperature. It only telling you the temperature of the socket below the cpu (a sensor on the mobo). Use a program like HW Monitor or Real Temp to "monitor" the cpu "Core" temperatures. Tell us what the core temps are in Windows.

HWMonitor
or
techPowerUp! :: RealTemp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom