Programming Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I avoid Dells like the plague... Seriously, I work on campus at our IT department, and students bring in more Dells than any other laptop. Usually is a problem with the laptop itself it seems like...

Those are Inspiron's though right? The Latitudes are better quality and completely different animals. We have a pretty considerable number of them at work and most of them seem to be horribly obsolete before anything goes wrong with them. Dell is also pretty good from a statistics standpoint, sure they aren't Asus but they are still way better than HP/Compaq or Acer.

Acer isn't that bad, I found out. They're not the top brand like ASUS and Toshiba are. They are a good alternatives if budgets are low.

The last study I read had Acer listed towards the bottom, the only brands that ranked lower were Gateway (Aver subsidiary) and HP.

PROGRAMMING[all of the different languages eventually].

That's very ambitious indeed. It's analogous to learning all the spoken languages in the world.

Seriously though.. any system will program.. they just might tke years to compile.

If he writes something (or more likely a lot of somethings) that take that long then it would be worth investing in a continuous integration (build) server... but that would be a separate investment at a later date.

I avoid Dells like the plague... Seriously, I work on campus at our IT department, and students bring in more Dells than any other laptop. Usually is a problem with the laptop itself it seems like...

I didn't think Dell was that bad! Maybe there are just a lot more Dells than other systems on your campus. Or maybe Dell owners are more likely to bring their laptops to you? Maybe that's because of the quality of Dell's support (or lack of :D)? Dunno.

Those are Inspiron's though right? The Latitudes are better quality and completely different animals. We have a pretty considerable number of them at work and most of them seem to be horribly obsolete before anything goes wrong with them. Dell is also pretty good from a statistics standpoint, sure they aren't Asus but they are still way better than HP/Compaq or Acer.
Yeah, come to think of it I believe most of 'em were Inspiron's. We had a lot of XPS notebooks in though, too. Not a bit fan of those ones, either.

HP is the same way with their entertainment series (dv---- I believe)... But their business class ones are pretty darn good. I know several people with business class ones and they have no problems, versus the entertainment ones that seem to have a multitude of problems.

I didn't think Dell was that bad! Maybe there are just a lot more Dells than other systems on your campus. Or maybe Dell owners are more likely to bring their laptops to you? Maybe that's because of the quality of Dell's support (or lack of :D)? Dunno.

It was like this at home where I worked, too. Often got Dell, eMachines, etc. Not a fan of Acer Aspire (the lower end ones) either.

Yeah, come to think of it I believe most of 'em were Inspiron's. We had a lot of XPS notebooks in though, too. Not a bit fan of those ones, either.

HP is the same way with their entertainment series (dv---- I believe)... But their business class ones are pretty darn good. I know several people with business class ones and they have no problems, versus the entertainment ones that seem to have a multitude of problems.

I've noticed the same difference in quality between the business class laptops and the consumer models we have at work which is why I was suggesting the latitudes.

Unless you have the budget to go for one of the Asus U or UL series laptops a Latitude from the outlet is about as good as it gets from a quality and performance vs cost standpoint.

So many to choose from..... O.O
So many indeed.....
I feel kind of geeky(well less geeky) by saying that I had to look some of the stuff in this thread up.
I honestly must have a lot to learn.

C/C++ are supposed to be multi-platform with few modifications, anyway.

My Data Structures professor is gung-ho on Linux and makes us use Linux to write our programs... Or at least test them on a Linux server he has setup for grading purposes... So I just setup a dual-boot of Ubuntu/Win7 on my laptop, and code in Code::Blocks in either environment (usually end up coding in Ubuntu though, just to make sure that it'll for sure run in Linux as opposed to just Windows).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom