New Mobo, RAM, and CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
I have had my current rig for a good long while now and now I'm considering upgrading with Christmas just around the corner. My current motherboard (ASUS P5Q-PRO) does not support DDR3 RAM nor does it support the new Core i7 CPUs. I use my computer for gaming thus the previously mentioned hardware shall sustain any new games for the next couple years.

I thought about this RAM:

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

This CPU:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7970

But I'm stuck on the motherboard. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a good motherboard for the RAM and CPU? I have a 470GTX GPU already with 700W PSU.

you don't really need to spend that much on a cpu for a nice gaming rig, i'd go with PP's suggestion of a 930 or 950. but if you're really considering dropping that kind of cash into a cpu, (if i had that kind of cash to spend) i would just go all out and get the 980x.

you don't really need to spend that much on a cpu for a nice gaming rig, i'd go with PP's suggestion of a 930 or 950. but if you're really considering dropping that kind of cash into a cpu, (if i had that kind of cash to spend) i would just go all out and get the 980x.

yeah, wouldn't an AMD system be better if it's primarily for gaming?

hmm, i don't quite understand what you're asking. if he's considering spending that much on a cpu, at those prices intel will have the faster cpu's, no doubt.

I Know im just saying if he wants a Gaming PC, he could save cash by going with AMD and not lose much performance But It's up To the OP.

Silly Silly Abstract, And I didn't know that was the worst RipJaws, I was going to buy some of that for my new system
I said worse, not worst lol. The ripjaws ontop of being only 4GB had worse timings than OPs OCZ 6GB kit.

I Know im just saying if he wants a Gaming PC, he could save cash by going with AMD and not lose much performance But It's up To the OP.
Depends on the GPU in question honestly, what res you can play at (or want), and the eye candy you desire. If i played at 1680x1050 with a 5770 id want a cheaper 955 and OC it because i know there wont be any CPU limitations due to the 5770 not being all that powerful. If he wants SLI 470s than he wants to limit bottlenecking to a minimum with a faster CPU by Intel. At 4.2 in synthetics my 465 is still being bottlenecked. I can only imagine how bad it would be if i still had a 4ghz 955. (Granted the same situation with his 470 ect)

When gaming you dont exactly want to skimp out on CPU and you definitely dont want to skimp out if you plan on having alot of graphics horsepower. A lesson i learned a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom