First build looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ormazd

Baseband Member
Hello, I would like to first of thank anyone that attempts to help me with my concerns and questions.

That being said I am looking to build a computer or upgrade my existing one.
If you think it is possible to use hardware from my existing computer for my new one please do tell me because I want to save as much money as possible, and currently it is averaging about 800$ and I want to try bring it down $100-200$+ if possible without gimping myself.

This is my current computer:
Gateway Support - Specifications

Here is a list of parts I plan on purchasing for my new build, I am going to use this for gaming purposes.

Case:
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
or
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Processor:

I was looking at two choices:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
or
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

But not sure about the 6 core, because people tell me it's too powerful and will require water-cooling.

Mother-Board:
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Unsure about this, is there any MB better?

Power-supply:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Hard-Drive:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Should I got 1 TB or Lower?

CD/DVD Drive:
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Video Card:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Also I have a Router and Modem hooked up to this computer, if I build a new one will I have to reconfigure it to gain internet access?

Thank You :)

Well nothing from your old computer will be usable since everything in your list is newer technology. Since your current processor is AM2 socket and the mobo you got there is AM3 socket unless you get an AM2 compatible mobo. But then again if you plan on gaming your processor might bottleneck your GPU, hence decreasing your preformance in video games.

Heres something i found to save you some money

GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125309&cm_re=5770-_-14-125-309-_-Product (save 10$)

CPU/MOBO - Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! (saves you like 26$)

You wont be able to use much out of your old computer except maybe your Hard-Drive , Media Reader, Optical Drive. thats about it.

Well once you build your computer you would have to install all the drivers to gain internet access again, if your router has dhcp on you should be fine with getting internet automatically once you install the NIC drivers

Im not expert but this is my advice, im pretty sure theres members here willing to take it a step further.

Cool. Thanks, can a Mod move this to Building Gaming PCs section. I don't think it would be nice to spam 2 threads in at once.

But not sure about the 6 core, because people tell me it's too powerful and will require water-cooling.

Whoever told you this needs to be smacked across the dome.
6 cores are just like the rest. yes they create more heat but not enough to require high performance cooling unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking. In your case I don't think you need a 6 core because you plan on this being a gaming rig if I'm reading correct? and games don't utilize more than 4 cores as of yet.

Your router and modem will not need to be reconfigured.

Re: How are my parts?

Sorry I didn't mean to post it in that section and asked for the original to be moved but it didn't just figured to make another.

I have merged the 2 threads. Please read the Welcome thread so you know how to use such Features as the Report button. That way instead of just asking in topic you can report the thread asking in the report that it be moved and it will be done. The Mod Team is working on several projects and can't possibly visit every thread on the site everyday. While we try our best, it just cant be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom