Move hidden partition from Asus laptop to external USB HDD and boot from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

kostasfxr

Solid State Member
Hi,
I have an Asus F5VL laptop which has a hidden partition for recovery purposes. The preloaded OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 32x. What I want to do is to transfer the hidden partition to an external HDD and format the laptop disk so I can do a clean windows xp install with no hidden partitions etc. I tried to do this with norton ghost but the problem is that the recovery partition doesn't boot from external HDD. To be specific it boots but after a while an error appears which says that a file is missing somewhere in C:\.
So to sum up, I want to move the hidden partition to an External HDD. I want it remain hidden and bootable so when I tell my BIOS to boot from USB to be able to restore my system to factory defaults.

P.S: When I use Gparted to manage my disks the hidden partition is flagged as hidden and lba (I don't know what lba is)

Thank you in advance,
Constantine

That hidden partition is like a recovery for the preloaded OS that it came with, with all the manufacturer's settings, etc. It makes no sense to move it to an external or anywhere as a matter of fact if you are going to do a clean install of Windows XP. Also it will not be able to restore your settings to factory defaults without the correct OS in place (where you would need the Windows Vista...and not the Windows XP), which would render it useless.

That hidden partition is like a recovery for the preloaded OS that it came with, with all the manufacturer's settings, etc. It makes no sense to move it to an external or anywhere as a matter of fact if you are going to do a clean install of Windows XP. Also it will not be able to restore your settings to factory defaults without the correct OS in place (where you would need the Windows Vista...and not the Windows XP), which would render it useless.

Restore has nothing to do with win xp. I know i can restore only the original windows vista. I just want to remove this hidden partition a) to free more space b) to have it in the external hdd in case laptop's hdd fails......

Don't think you can move that partition to an external, also you would need the Windows Vista CD or the restore CD they give you with the laptop if you're going to restore it at any time. Why don't just download all the drivers and software you need (what may also be available on the recovery partition) and just keep it safe. So in any day you decide to install Vista again, you already have the updated software and drivers at hand.

Don't think you can move that partition to an external, also you would need the Windows Vista CD or the restore CD they give you with the laptop if you're going to restore it at any time. Why don't just download all the drivers and software you need (what may also be available on the recovery partition) and just keep it safe. So in any day you decide to install Vista again, you already have the updated software and drivers at hand.

Yes, I think this is the best idea! Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom