Remote Desktop with Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Ubuntu 10.0.4, x32.

I saw the Remote Desktop option in System - Preferences. I got it to share folders with the network by going to Personal File Sharing.

Is it possible, without 3rd party apps, to remotely connect to Ubuntu (my netbook) via Windows 7 Remote Desktop?

I saw guides on TeamViewer, and successfully connected. Is there a way to do this without an app?

I did try it through Remote Desktop on Win 7. I put the computer name in the first box, the user in the next and tried to connect. Nothing. Then I saw in Ubuntu that Computer.local can be remotely connected with other Ubuntu systems. So I try that. It sits there for awhile, like seeing it, but can't connect to it.

Any ideas? straight answers? Saxon? :p

Remote desktop relies on either SSH or VNC. If you want a true standard "remote desktop", look in the software center for Gnome-RDP. This program will operate in the standard Windows-style remote desktop.

Likewise, if you hook up TightVNC to the Windows boxes, then Ubuntu's "remote desktop" (again, uses VNC) will be able to connect to it accordingly.

If you have trouble connecting, try connecting via IP. Sometimes hostnames can be weird to deal with, no matter what OS platform you deal with. Sometimes I have random flukes on our Windows network at work so I just rely on the straight IP because it has never failed me.

PS - TeamViewer is completely fricken awesome. It's so nice just having someone download a program quick for me to remote in instead of trying to explain to my great aunt how to port forward for standard VNC access... But TeamViewer can become cumbersome when it's not entirely needed, which is why I use it for the less technology-savy individuals out there who need a helping hand remotely.

Not too sure about that brosef. I'm quite a happy bachelor at the moment. Ahh, the stress free lifestyle... :p

You didnt goof up Jayce. There was a spammer that posted and you responded to them. You even have them quoted in your post about Team Viewer. So you were just being nice and answering a question which was then later removed and caused confusion cause you responded before i deleted.

You didnt goof up Jayce. There was a spammer that posted and you responded to them. You even have them quoted in your post about Team Viewer. So you were just being nice and answering a question which was then later removed and caused confusion cause you responded before i deleted.

Ah, gotcha Mak. Thanks for the info. I remember seeing some guy bump up 4-5 different threads and I thought I remembered responding to 2 of them at least. But I'm always doing about 40 things at once so it's not far fetched to assume I made a whoopsey. :p

Yeah they spammed around 50 posts before it was caught. All sorts of "Hey this is cool" type crap that just had to go. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom