build questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna35

In Runtime
So I am way behind on the times. What seems to be the better processor these days, intel or amd? What about RAM? I see all these builds with 6 gbs split over 3 sticks. Is it still advisable to go with an even number of sticks than odd or doesnt it matter much? I would really appreciate some ideas for a build that is good for gaming but also just general multimedia use. I would like to play all the newer games at reasonable settings but by no means must they be maxed out. Also, a build that will last for a few years.

I am not going to OC it and my budget is about $750-$800.

Thanks!

Also, I won't be building this right away but over the next couple months. Are there any new releases coming out soon that will drop prices that I should hold out for, or just go ahead and build?

thank you! guess that shows how far behind i am. i didnt even know there were tri channel cpu's

i didnt even know there were tri channel cpu's

I believe he was refering to the RAM and that point.
For a reccomendation on graphics card, a good mid-end GPU from ATI would be one the new 6000 series and for Nividia the GTX460. you can pick one of these up for about £150-£200 (sorry about the pounds)
If thats a bit of the your price range i'd look at the 5000 series from ATI, the 6000 series has only recently been relased and the 5000 series should start to drop in price.

I agree with abstracts comment above for the RAM it's probaly best to keep it in 2's for dual channal, and 3's for tri channel. another way to think about it is if it's dual go up in 2,4,6 and so on and for tri go for 3,6,9 etc.
on that budget it would probaly be best to go for dual chan.

CPU: alot of it does come down to perosnal choice but if i'm not mistaken early 2011 intel are releasing a new processor range and this will probaly drop the price down on some of there current ranges out if your willing to wait that long.

and that build will be able to run most games at decent settings and last for a few years?

The only thing I'd suggest on that build is maybe knock the CPU down to a 955 to save a bit of extra $$$ and then Put the extra $$$ on a 1GB version of the 460.

And yes that PC will last for at least two years playing games, maybe not on maximum settings but yeah. :wink_tongue: Very nice build Abstract, Just I think those ideas will help :p

would it be worth it to go spend a little more and get the 1 gb version of the card and go with the 970? I think I could stretch the budget a little.

would it be worth it to go spend a little more and get the 1 gb version of the card and go with the 970? I think I could stretch the budget a little.

I personally don't think the 970 Is worth it, you can overclock a 955 to around 3.8GHZ or maybe even higher and it also has higher energy usage - 140W as compared to 125W of the 955/965. Thus this may mean it won't overclock as high, I'd personally go for the 955. (Only get the 955 if you can get a combo deal though so you actually save money!) and yes it would probably be worth going for the 1GB card, depending on your Monitor size and what resolution you are going to play at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom