Athlon 64 + PC2700 RAM???, please give us a hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

$|!m

Baseband Member
Hey, thx for readin the post.
Ive jsut bought a new Mobo and CPU, and im gettin MAJOR problems.
Its an Athlon 64 3Ghz (soket 754), and the asus k8v SE delux edition. ( http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=602808)
When i start up the comp there are various problems, it will just stay as a black screen ( the comp starts though)
The comp will beep 3 times, then pause, and then start again beeping...
It WILL reach the loading windows screen, but will then freeze. i Managed 2 boot windows ONCE only, and it was rlly slow.
Im pretty sure it isnt the fault of any of the other components, because i also have an athlon XP 2Ghz, and a MoBo, which works with all my other hardware. (9800pro, 400W PSU, 120Gb HDD)
Could it possibly be down to my ram? i have pc2700 ram
1 stik of 512 ( bravo)
2 stiks of 256 (unmarked)
Thx 4 anyhelp!!!

3 long beeps I believe is a RAM issue...try reseating it again because I got that error when I power up my computer without any RAM in it due to troubleshooting reasons and I got 3 long beeps a pause and then repeat...but every board is different so you might have to check the manual or the manufacturer website so you can find out the appropriate beep codes for that motherboard.

EDIT: Also there is a program called memtest86+ that you put on a bootable cd and floppy and when you boot up your system make sure the sequence is:

1: Floppy
2: HDD-0

or if you don't have a floppy then put

1: CD-ROM
2: HDD-0

This program will thoroughly test your memory and you will know immediately if the RAM is bad

Thanks m8. But just one thing, the RAM is fine on my current set up (an athlon XP 2ghz), or could it be possible that the ram isnt compatible with the MoBo.
What are the timings for pc2700 RAM, because on another forum they said that the ram may be set up wrong (apparently the athlon 64 dont like rams of less that PC 3100), ok Thx

$|!m said:
Hey, thx for readin the post.
Ive jsut bought a new Mobo and CPU, and im gettin MAJOR problems.
Its an Athlon 64 3Ghz (soket 754), and the asus k8v SE delux edition. ( http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=602808)
When i start up the comp there are various problems, it will just stay as a black screen ( the comp starts though)
The comp will beep 3 times, then pause, and then start again beeping...
It WILL reach the loading windows screen, but will then freeze. i Managed 2 boot windows ONCE only, and it was rlly slow.
Im pretty sure it isnt the fault of any of the other components, because i also have an athlon XP 2Ghz, and a MoBo, which works with all my other hardware. (9800pro, 400W PSU, 120Gb HDD)
Could it possibly be down to my ram? i have pc2700 ram
1 stik of 512 ( bravo)
2 stiks of 256 (unmarked)
Thx 4 anyhelp!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom