Graphic card or MB gone bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester73440

Baseband Member
a while ago my screen started flashing. it has gotten much worst so I figured the graphic card might be going out. So i bought a replacement put it in and i'm getting no video signal at all from it. ( pretty sure I hooked it up properly) i put the old one back in and i do at least get signal. Could I have gotten a faulty graphic card or is my mother board going bad? What are some test I can do

Hey, I'm just a nooB but did you try going into bios(through onboard graphics if you have any on your motherboard) and switch it to the card. You may need to do it even if you put it in the same slot. Just a thought.

Good thinking but no on board card. I tried hooking up VGA instead of Dvi. The new card I get no signal the old card I get signal but the screen is scrambled.

Hey, before we find out whats going on let me ask some questions:

What socket type motherboard are you using ? you say you have a P4 HT, but what type is it ?
Socket 478 or LGA 775 series ?

Also what type of video slot do you have ? pci, AGP and speed, or probably PCIe x16 or x1 ?
Once we figure out what you have and what you bough we can tell you where you went wrong.

My guess is that you "MIGHT" have the wrong type of video card, last look into checking out your mobo and ram, I guess it being a little bit old will cause some problems.

I have had it happen to me during my previous old builds nothing to be shamed about just need to fix, upgrade or mostly likely rebuild the whole system under a certain budget.

Could be PSU related. The new card was too much for the PSU, and blew it, so your old card doesn't work as well. But yes, tell us what Mike was implementing.

SOCKET 478
CARD SLOT AGP 8x/4x with 1.5v

The new card I bought is the Nividia Geforce 6200

The ram and power supply have been upgraded in the past year.

I need you to check the bix on that video card and tell me what speed does it require and what voltages ?
From what I can tell your old video card uses v1.25 so your new card needs to be equal on that voltage or else it is not going to work correctly.

the geniuses at microcenter put their label over the requirements. but here is what i can get off the website, i know this deals with power supply and not board voltage but I can't find a listing for the board requirements

Minimum of a 250 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom