Core 2 Quad vs Core 2 Duo? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jung_C

Solid State Member
So Im upgarding my cpu and I found out the Intel Core 2 quad and Core 2 Duo are compatible with my motheboard. My current cpu is a pentium dual core E2200. My Question is which cpu would be better for Gaming? I first assumed the Quad would be better because it has more cores, but some of my friends say that the core 2 duo is better for gaming while the core 2 quad is more for running multiple applications simutaneously. Im a noob who needs some good advice. Any help would be appreciated :grin:

Though many games don't harness the full potential of a quad it would still benefit you greatly to get the quad.

It would indeed game better than the duo.

There are various models of Core 2 Quad's and Core 2 Duo's . And not every motherboard can run every model of Core 2 Quad or Duo. Some motherboards may need a bios flash to use some cpu's and some motherboards will only work with a few specific cpu's no matter what you do. So in order to give you a good answer we need to know exactly what motherboard you have.

My Mobo Is a MSI Nvidia MCP73pv. The reason I write nvidia Is because when I type in MSI MCP73pv in google it shows it as having somthing to do with nvidia. I know I had an integrated graphics Geforce 7100/nvidia nForce 630i maybe thats why. Let me know if that helps

Heres my current specs
ACER ASPIRE M5641 Desktop
Intel pentium Dual core E2200 2.20GHz
Geforce gt240
4g ram
Windows Vista 64 bit
550 watt psu
Motherboard = MSI MCP73pv,socket LGA775,Real clock 200MHz(QDR),Effective Clock 800Mhz

Can we get an actual motherboard model? MCP73PV is just the chipset.

For us to tell you which would be better we would need to know if it supports the 65nm or 45nm chips, and then its down to clock speed from there.

After some Google though it appears a Gateway system with the same board comes with a Q6600 so know it will at least support that.

Edit:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=1498&maincat_no=1

Is that your board? If so, then thats what it supports and it currently supports all 65 and 45nm quads and duals.

First off thx to all you guys and girls help. Ill will definitely research performing a bios update further before I make any decisions. Also now that I know MCP73pv is just the chipset is there an easy way to get the actual model number? I DL a program called everest and it gave the MCP73pv as the model # so I guess that didnt help. If I open up my case will it show the real model number on the board? Also Is a bios update necessary when Installing a new cpu?

Typically CPU-Z (free download) will show the full model under the motherboard tab. Just look at the link i provided and see if that motherboard matches yours visually. If so, its prolly the same.

Thx again I havent seen my mobo in a long time I'll open up my case tomorrow and check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom