Intel or Amd cpu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulinus

Solid State Member
What are the comparative advadangages/disadvantages of the midline intel and amd cpus - about $120-180

Thinking of using a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb - any comments ?

Thankyou
Paul

Intels are king but expensive, AMD are 80% as good, but 70% cheaper.

That about sums it up from what I have read. Both work well, Intel is the Cadaliac AMD the Chevvy - both will get you down the road

Next I have to pick a Mother board if the Processor, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb, is a good choice.
I am partial to ASUS and Gibabyte

Any suggestions ?

Also is the heatsink/fan as bad on the AMD as it seems ?

Do you plan to OC? If so go with the ASUS. I can testify to their OC'ing abilities.
and no about the HSF. MY CPU runs quite cool with the stock HSF- I can even OC it a bit on stock air. It is realy hard to get it on though.

yes, the stock heatsink is like a jet engine. Get yourself an OCZ vendetta or an artic cooler freezer pro v2. Both are cheap and very effective. :wink:

I'll probably go with the ASUS, that way the option to OC stays open. Now for a board ?

I like how people fail to mention this.

If you plan to OC and get a 965 then save yourself some cash and grab a 955 instead. Overclocking headroom is virtually the same but 20 bucks cheaper.

OCing ability is basically strictly on the CPU if you have a high end board from either company. That includes MSI as well.

I decided not to criticize his decision on the CPU and just answer his question about the mobo. The reason why I said that ASUS is better for OCing is because of the TurboV Evo software. Maybe the others are better, but TurboV Evo is some really good software. I also can vie for ASUS out of experience.

I decided not to criticize his decision on the CPU and just answer his question about the mobo. The reason why I said that ASUS is better for OCing is because of the TurboV Evo software. Maybe the others are better, but TurboV Evo is some really good software. I also can vie for ASUS out of experience.

If you want to OC the best way is through the bios and even though software is maturing quick its still not recommended for a stable solution. Im not trying to come off as harsh or anything, but i just dont judge a boards performance based off the software bundle. I too, vouch from experience on both the CPU decision and the motherboard (having owned alost all 700 series boards from all big companies and both the 955 and 965)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom