First time computer build review!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply. I'm almost done and just put in the graphics card. In the card manual, it said to connect two 6 pin power cables to each individual connector. I have one 6 pin PCIE connector which I already installed and another that is 6 pin + 2 pins hanging off. Does this still work as a 6 pin or is it like an 8 pin?

If it is 6+2, as in the two are not made into the six but come from the same set of wires, then yes. My PSU uses 6+2 connectors.

Ok, so I finished building it and I just started it up. The fans on every part are going but It makes 2 beeps then a really long one like something is powering up or something and nothing shows up on my screen. Is something wrong or do I need to put the CD in?

EDIT: I just put the CD in, still 2 beeps and nothing showing on the monitor :/

Look in the motherboard manual. It has a chart that you can use to decode the beeps, or at least it should.
It may be the RAM. I googled your mobo and found the compatibility chart, don't see the specific set you ordered on there.

A long beep with 2 short beeps is usually your video card, but it really depends upon the type of bios used by the manufacturer.

Make sure the video card is plugged into the slot securely and the locking tab is engaged (you should hear it click). Make sure you have all the required power connectors plugged into your video card.

Your video card requires a minimum of 500 watts and you have a 550 watt ps? That's not a lot of headroom and if your PS is the slightest bit weak it could be causing your problems.

I guess it could also be a memory problem. Try booting the system with just 1 stick of memory installed, if it still fails then try the single stick in a different memory slot. If that still doesn't help then try the other stick of memory, all by itself.

I couldn't find the beep decoder chart, so I moved the RAM around different slots with no success. I also moved the graphics card from 1 slot to the other and nothing happened haha. I guess if I don't think of something I'll call gigabyte or the ram company tomorrow. I found RAM from an old computer downstairs, but's only DDR and my motherboard manual said it requires DDR3

Try everything that doesn't involve RAM, and if nothing works, buy a cheap stick that's on the QVL as a last resort. If that works, then you don't have compatible RAM. Just my suggestion.

Ok, so I got the display working. It turns out instead of plugging it into my motherboard's VGA port, I had to plug it into my graphics card's. I still have the 2 beeps then a long beep, so its pretty likely it's my RAM. When i boot the system, though, it gets to the screen asking for the system disk. Should I go ahead and do this? Will it help me determine if it actually is my RAM or some other part or will something go wrong?

Do you still have the same DDR3 4GB RAM that you put in earlier? If so, then go ahead- so long as the computer's functional. A beep decoding chart would be helpful, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom