Cable Modding

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a few bucks to spend, don't mind voiding your warranty and want to learn something, then don't bother with cutting and soldering, visit these guys and buy the tools and stuff to re-terminate them yourselves at the length you need. Shortening is always easier than lengthening.

Molex Pins : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Pick up the connectors you need, a crimping tool (pliers can work but aren't as good), some strippers (wire not women), shrink wrap, and heat gun (hari dryer in a pinch).

Cut the wires at the length you want, slide on a small piece of shrink wrap, crimp on the terminals, slip back on your connectors, heat the shrink wrap once in place and you're done. Easy as pie.

Oh, you'll need a removal tool to pull the old terminals from the stock connectors, i use a sanded down paper clip to pinch them. Found they were stronger than the stock ones. YouTube molex pins remover and you'll find a dozen tutorials. This way you dn't have any solder connections.

I think it would be pretty easy to cut out a section of the wire and then solder them back together, using heat-shrink to insulate and protect the solder joints. You would have to learn how to use a soldering iron (pretty simple though) and cut the wires to size. The other option would be to rebuild the plugs by removing all the pins from the plastic plugs and either using new pins or desoldering the wires out of the pins and resoldering after shortening the wires. If you do it right you can reuse the pins rather than having to buy new ones but it can take a long time if you're removing a lot of pins.

I would only recommend doing this if your PSU is out of warranty, if it's in warranty you'll void the warranty. If it is modular you could buy extra modular cords and mod them so you don't void your PSU warranty.

When doing cable management for long cables you have to really be creative. I have a relatively small case with long cables with my PSU and ive managed to hide most all of my cables. It just takes a bit of ingenuity to get it right and make it look good without damaging anything.
If your not pro at cables then i wouldnt suggest taking them apart at all because you could seriously fry something. My friend sleeved each of his cables individually for that special look and wound up frying a Velociraptor cause he got 2 cables mixed up out of the other million he did on his PSU.

If you seriously want to do it and dont care about the possibility of frying anything then just order some new ends and the tools recommended already, cut the end and spare cable off you dont need (after measuring, leave a little bit of slack to be safe) then put the new ends on. Simple as pie. Again if your not experienced with this kinda thing at all i highly recommend getting creative with cable management instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom