SATA CD/DVD showing up in IDE channels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I've got all my hardware installed, and I'm going through my BIOS settings before installing my OS. My SSDs are showing up under Integrated Peripherals, which is what I would expect. However, my CD/DVD is showing up under Standard CMOS, and it looks like it is set up as an IDE Master. Is this wrong? I can't seem to do anything to get it to read as an SATA drive.

Is your SATA controller in IDE or AHCI (or RAID) mode? If it's in IDE the drives will act as an IDE channel for compatibility with older software. Switch it to AHCI mode which is the native SATA mode and it should show up as a SATA device.

It's set to AHCI... that's what isn't making sense. There is a message when I go into BIOS which says "This version only supports Hard Drives and CD-Roms"; I can't imagine that, given I have a top-of-the-line motherboard, this means no CD/DVD-roms.

SOLVED! Apparently, the SATA3 controller doesn't like stuff that isn't SATA3 (despite backwards compatibility). Place it on a SATA2 controller, and it's recognized correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom