Frustrated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

croSSeduP

In Runtime
Overclocking: I have searched the internet, and everything I have seen - with the exception of one article written in 2004 - assumes that people looking up how to overclock any given CPU has at least SOME knowledge of how to do it, and what all the terminology means. When it comes to this, I am a complete ignoramus! I need someone to explain it to me from the very basic things. I mean the VERY basic things. I just watched this because I just got the processor mentioned in this, my GPU set-up is similar, and I want to know how to overclock the CPU:
YouTube - AMD Phenom II 940 & 920 Review + Dragon (NCIX Tech Tips #21)
Not helpful at all. Somebody, please take a complete noob under their wing and walk me through this, or point me in the direction where I can get the info I need. Thanks!

TG

Assuming that you don't know anything about OC'ing, some definitions are in order:
Clock speed and Multiplier determine the speed of a piece of hardware. Think of data as water. To find the speed of the "water" in any given component, multiply the clock speed by the multiplier. Most OC'ing is done by changing the clock speed, but certain applications can change the multiplier as well (e.g. TurboV Evo). An "unlocked" processor (e.g. Intel's k series or AMD Black Edition CPUs) does not have any upper limit to its multiplier (most processors have a fixed multiplier that cannot be changed). Lag is created when too much "water" is being pumped into the components, building up pressure. Unlike water, data does not move faster when there is more of it, so pressure builds up inside the system.
Threads and Pipelines Using the water analogy, threads and pipelines are like the hoses that supply components with "water." More hoses and/or bigger hoses allow for more "water" and less pressure. The speed of a thread or pipeline is like the diameter of the hose.
Voltages The amount of electrical power that is supplying a component. In general, increasing the speed of a component requires increasing the voltage. However, DO NOT manually increase the voltage unless you are 100% SURE that you know what you are doing. Setting improper voltages can completely fry your system. I suggest letting an OC utility take care of voltage adjustment for you.

That's pretty much all the basic definitions that you need to know. Now, for the OC part. There are two ways to OC your computer. You can either use BIOS or a utility software. I recommend using an OC utility as it's easier to adjust the settings, changes can usually be reversed if your computer becomes unstable, and most utilities offer automatic tuning. If I'm not mistaken, You're running a 940 BE and a Gygabyte mobo. I can't help you with the BIOS- all of my experience is with ASUS mobos. Because you're using an AMD CPU, you can run the AMD Overdrive Application (AOD) that is found here: Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM This is a good application, and is provided by AMD itself. Because you have a BE processor, you have a wider range of options for OC'ing.
As its name implies, overclocking is usually done by changing the clock speeds. Because you have a BE CPU, you can also OC through the multiplier. I do both.
Here's a basic tutorial for the AOD app.
Launch the app. Click yes to admin privileges, then you're going to get a warning message by AMD telling you that OCing can be dangerous (albeit in pages of unnecessary re-wording). Click yes, and after a short delay, AOD opens up. If it tells you to register or anything, do (or don't, shouldn't matter). Once you get to the main app, you should be on the "basic info" page. It can look really confusing, don't worry if it does. Eventually, you'll learn what all of those things mean through experience.
Click on the "performance control" tab on the top. The default preferences are novice mode, so you'll be brought to a simple-looking page with a sliding meter on the top and a chart of clock speeds, multipliers, etc. on the bottom. You should have something of an idea of what most of them mean by now. The easiest way to manual OC is to take the little slide on the meter and slide it over to the right. That's it. Make sure that you have a good HSF if you want to move it over past, say, two or three. If your computer crashes, restart the system and load default BIOS settings. As with any method, this will take much trial and error before you come up with the best settings.
Alternatively, you can auto-clock the system. From the novice mode tab, click on the lower tab on the right side that says "auto clock". Click on the start button and wait, the tuning process can take a while. If your computer crashes, no worries, reboot and load default BIOS settings. That's it.
Once you've OCd your system, it's probably a god idea to run a stress test. You may use your own or use the one provided by the AOD application (it's one of the lower tabs under "performance control" section). If the temps are too high for your comfort, or if the computer crashes, then reboot and turn it down a little bit. It's all trial and error.
Long guide, but hopefully this helps.

Redfish - Thanks for this. I have downloaded AMD O.D. and tried it. In novice mode the amount that you can oc is so slight it's almost not worth doing it. I flashed the BIOS, and all seems to be well. As u pointed out, since it is a BE I can change the multiplier in BIOS, so that's what I did. I went from 15x to 17.5x so now, just by changing that, I'm running it at 3.5GHz. I stressed tested using OCCT for 7 hours and it came back w/o errors. I also am OC'ing my GPU's. I have 3870's in crossfire and have the clock set at 783MHz and the memory set at 1134MHz (from stock 776/1126). That's as high as I could set it before errors showed up in the OCCT GPU stress test. I found this link interesting:
GA-MA790X(T)-UD4P Club

This has OC'ing info for both my cpu and mobo. I might be trying some of these setting out.

TG

Glad to hear that it worked out. I'd check and see if TurboV Evo works on Gygabyte systems, as it is the easiest and the best OC utility that I have used and is much more convenient than BIOS changes but it is an ASUS product so it may only be compatible with certain motherboards. I agree, novice mode in AOD is not the best way to OC. Using the advanced mode can be more effective, but I've had better luck with TurboV Evo. I suggested the AOD not because it is the best application out there (not that it's the worst) but because it's guaranteed to be compatible with your system and it's a great way to learn through experience. Like I said, though, software is the best way to go for beginning OC'ers. It's less risky (that's not to say it's without risk) and easier in most cases. If TurboV Evo is compatible, then use it. You can download it here ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
By far the best method I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom