Replacing Graphics Card fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
My graphics card has been really loud lately when I first turn on the computer. The way I would make it stop would be to open the case and kinda pull up (just a little) on the card with my finger and let it go. I would also sometimes stop the fan with my finger and then let it start spinning again. It was being loud the other day so I stopped the fan with my finger and let it start again. It then went for a little bit and then just stopped. I quickly shut down my PC and took the card out to look at it. I then saw that when I had stopped it I broke one of the fan blades. I then took the broken blade out (figuring it would still run) and reinstalled the card. The fan ran fine but was kinda louder and vibrated a little.

I am wondering if it is possible to find a replacement fan I can install myself (just has 4 screws holding it down) for a lot less then a new card would cost.

The card is a Nvidia EVGA e-GeForce FX 5200, 128MB, P/N:128-P1-N309-LX, PCI Version. Here is a link to it on Amazon: Amazon.com: EVGA e-GeForce FX 5200 128 MB GPU: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

If it would be more then around $15-20 then I may just buy a newer GPU with a little more memory.

Thanks in advance.

I had a feeling that would be the answer. I was hoping that since it was an EVGA fan a replacement might be available but I guess not. It's a good thing I got a job recently or I would really be sunk. I'll probably have a thread about buying one soon.

Thanks for the help.

You'd be batter off getting a new board. That is an off-brand fan. It's not something you see in Newegg.

Really? Then why is the very first product I find be a direct aftermarket replacement?? A tiny bit of reseach realy helps answer question correctly.....

Newegg.com - VANTEC CCB-A4C Ball VGA Cooling Kit w/ Blue LED

And it's 17 Bucks including shipping. It comes with TIM Tape, AND ram fines. So if you're not ready for new card/psu, then this is a great replacement, and should lower the temps.

That fan looks like it's probably a standard size (40mm maybe, measure it to be sure). You could probably buy a replacement for cheap, just measure it and buy the same size fan, then take just the fan (not the heat sink) off and replace it. The wiring may not be the same so you may have to hook the fan up to a 4 pin power connector from your PSU or (if you know how to solder wires) just splice the old fan's power connector on to the new fan (red to red, black to black, if the new fan has a yellow wire just leave it disconnected).

Sorry about the long time to reply, I have been busy.

patonb: Did you look at the picture on the amazon page I provided? I am not sure if that fan would fit. In the picture you can see the 4 screws that hold it down.

View attachment 4527

The power connector is also going to the card and has just 2 wires. Would this fan be able to plug into that? I am out of 3-pin connectors on my MB. You did say it was an direct aftermarket replacement so would that mean it would fit? And I am not sure what "TIM Tape, AND ram fines" are?
CalcProgrammer1: I don't have any soldering skills at all. I haven't taken the fan off totally to see what is underneath it yet.

If the total cost (fan-$20, 3-pin splitter-$10) is $30 or more than I may just buy a new card that's a little bit better(256 MB) maybe.

Ok, I just looked at the pics on Newegg and saw that it has a Molex power connector so that wouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

• geforce fx-5200.jpg
    geforce fx-5200.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 574
Do you think I would need to use the extra heatsink parts? Also not sure if I should use thermal tape, their thermal paste, or some Tunix-X2 I have?

For the power, in the Newegg pictures there is a molex power connector so that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm doing a review on some thermal pastes atm :thumbsup: and yeah from the looks of it so far TX2 is right there at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom