Processor incredibly Hot, what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh okay, thanks for explaining that. I got thermal paste but i'm not sure how much or how to apply it.

Edit i just watched videos and i think i just did a pretty good job my question now is do i put any on the heat sync

Like so:

apply_2.jpg

Do not spread. The weight of the heatsink will evenly spread it out.

Well the temperature of the processor is floating around 65 degrees now which is still super hot for not doing anything but now i can at least go through the bios with out the pc shutting off. It seems like it's just the processor. I almost want to buy a water cooler and see if it's just my heat sync that isn't the greatest

Third edit, I just set it to 1 core and it's at 48 degrees but the green light is still on

I'm so confused, the processor stays around 40 degrees when operating at 1 core, does that mean a core is bad? Okay so I'm on my pc and it's running fine with 1 core at 50 degrees but when i start up wow the noise gets completely distorted.

I seem to find what is over heating my processor. I have all cores running but i turned the CPU clock ration from 21 to 12 and it doesn't run hot.

It determines the speed your CPU runs at. E.g. 2.6Ghz, 3.0Ghz, etc
You multiply it against the frequency of your bclk (e.g. for my 920, a ratio of 20 multiplied against a BCLK of 133Mhz gives 2.66Ghz, which is 'stock frequency' for a 920)

Did you actually replace the thermal paste before? Or did you just put the heatsink back on with the paste that was already on it? If you take the heatsink off, the thermal paste is ruined and absolutely must be replaced. This is especially true with wax paste. If you try to use the heatsink without any paste at all, it is absolutely useless (almost no heat transfers). You need some good quality, fresh paste between the chip and the heatsink.

On the X58A-UD3R, there are many lights. The ones by the CPU, in order from lowest to highest, are:

1: Green - CPU temp above 60 C
2: Red - CPU temp above 70 C (manual says 80C but from my readings it is definitely 70)
3: Green - CPU voltage slightly high
4: Yellow- CPU voltage moderately high
5: Red - CPU voltage very high

The lights light up like a bar graph, so if both 1 and 2 are on that just means it is above 70C (and also above 60C), same goes for the voltage, the lower lights stay on when the higher ones come on

I have noticed that the temperature lights can "crash" in that resetting the PC while the temp lights are on will cause them to stay on until the temp gets high enough to flash them or turn them on again, they will shut off only when the temperature drops below the threshold again. This is probably why the green light is still on while you are at 48C, try heating up the PC with a burn test or something then cooling it down, the light should shut off.

I bought arctic silver 5 today and applied it to the heat sync and to my knowledge I put it on right a very thin layer accros all of it. That at least allowed me to cruise the bios at 60 degrees now i"m playing wow still laggy but the temp is at 60 degrees. Idling at 54 degrees when not running anything. I'm at 15 multiplier right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom