windows vista fails to perform automatic recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your CD has hidden boot files that you can not transfer.

What does F10 do for you? You said you got into Vaio's recovery?

When i press F10 I get to a black screen:
Edit Boot Options
Edit Windows boot options for: Vaio Recovery Environment
Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
[/DETECTHAL /MININT /REDIRECT RDIMAGEOFFSET=8192 RDIMAGELENGTH=3161088 R DPATH=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\sources\boot.wim]

The text between the [...] can be deleted and wrote over...

this is also the screen where i got the error for the missing or corrupt hal.dll... i don't remember anymore what i wrote though....,,,

at one point i also got to a black screen saying:
File: \windows\system32\hal.dll
info: windows failed to load because the HAL is missing, or corrupt

Everything i do leads me to Vaio Recovery Center...

Great that is where you need to be. You need to go back there and restore your system to factory settings. There is no way to replace the file. It is a Vaio, so why are you trying to use an external optical drive instead of the one built in? Vaio's are not Netbooks and come with this device. If it is defective, that is something major.

i am in commandprompt, when i type in C:\>chkdsk /r /f i get : the type of the file system is NTFS. cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. WOULD YOU LIKE TO FORCE A DISMOUNT ON THIS VOLUME? <Y/N>

also tried :

C:\>cmd
Microsoft Windows <version 6.0.6000>

C:\>sfc /scannow
beginning system scan. this process will take some time.
windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

The first thing about the chkdsk is right. You should say Y and run the scan. You cant scan if you have it active and mounted. Simple as that. I dont know why you would try and run cmd from the command prompt. You aint going to get a result as your already using cmd so trying to run it again will not net you any results.

The 3rd one abouf sfc /scannow wont work cause the system files are password protected and you need to grant Admin rights to scan them. Not going to help you when you have the HAL.DLL error.

Sorry but the CD's provided by Sony that you burned, wont help. You need to have a real Vista DVD in order to fix this issue. Not some sloppy recovery CD prepped by Sony. So either you will have to contact them to get a replacement, get one from Microsoft, or flat out restore your laptop to factory settings. Those are the only options. Sorry to be the person with bad news, but there is no way to recovery it with what you have.

hi trying to get the laptop to restore to factory settings but all ways i try are not working either. can you please advice from this point how to get it back to factory settings.

You need to read the manual or contact Sony's Support. I dont own a Sony Vaio so i cant walk you step by step through the process. They know this material as it is their product. I can only tell you to read the material provided.

hi, thank you for support , will try the manual and let you know if i succeed

ok, so let's concentrate on restoring everything to factory settings...

I am back at F10 where is get
When i press F10 I get to a black screen:
Edit Boot Options
Edit Windows boot options for: Vaio Recovery Environment
Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
[/DETECTHAL /MININT /REDIRECT RDIMAGEOFFSET=8192 RDIMAGELENGTH=3161088 R DPATH=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\sources\ boot.wim]

The text between the [...] can be deleted and wrote over...

then i delete the text inside the [...] and don't write anything, just press enter then i get the screen:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. choose your language settings, and then click Next
3. click "repair your computer"
if you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

then under on the same screen is the error:
at one point i also got to a black screen saying:
File: \windows\system32\hal.dll
info: windows failed to load because the HAL is missing, or corrupt

Enter=continue

i get to the next screen called Windows Boot manager
Choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool:
(use the arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press ENTER.)
VAIO RECOVERY ENVIRONMENT (EMS Enabled)

To specify an advanced option for this choice, press F8

Tools:
Windows Memory Diagnostic

If i press F8 I get:

Advanced boot options

choose advanced options for: Vaio recovery environment
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last known good configuration (advanced)
directory service restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement

Start windows normally

Description: for all....

please let me know what to do from here so that i can restore factory settings..?

as you know i only have the 2 recovery discs i created when i first bought my Vaio so i dont have an original Windows DVD.. I do have an OLD Windows XP disk from my old computer... obviously i prefer Vista...

waiting for your reply, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom