Cable Modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
The power cables that came with my Silverstone power supply are, with a couple of exceptions, WAY too long, and are crowding the **** out of my case (which is a large case to begin with). Also, many of them have extraneous connectors (if my video card recommends to have each PCI-E power input be completely dedicated, I don't need a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector on each cable).

How easy is it to cut off excessive lengths of cable and reterminate them? I have almost zero experience with a soldering iron, but I believe there are some substances out there that are like soldering gel which make it easier.

don't do it. end discussion, topic closed.

it will void your power supply warranty, you might short something you, if you do it wrong you could fry your hardware... all bad news. plain down right dont do it.

it would be relatively simple, even if you have no experience soldering, but i'm not gonna suggest it primarily because of voiding your warranty, like Sean mentioned.

if the option is available, return your psu and get a modular one.

It is a modular one. It's just that the cables that came with it are too **** big, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of options online for the cables that hog the most room (the PCI-E 6 pin and 8 pin cables).

I guess I'll just deal with it.

Yes, I have zip ties, it's just that the cables are like 5" thick lol. None of this is stuff that can't be overcome, but it will definitely impede airflow.

Does anyone know of a place that makes custom cables? Like where I could say "I need a 14 inch 8 pin PCI-E cable, an SATA cable with two connectors that is 8 inches long, etc."?

Yeah, I looked at Newegg. They've pretty much got what I already have.

Even if the temps stay down, I still want an uncluttered case with custom cables if I can find them at a reasonable price... I've found that 90% of the build time so far has been rerouting cables so that they can squeeze in.

Really any electronics guy could do it for you. It's pretty easy to shorten a wire, you just need the right equipment.
1. Cut the wire.
2. put a bit of heatshrink tubing over the wire
3. splice the wires back together
4. use a heat gun to melt the tubing onto the wire

That's the steps for doing this, but if you don't have the know-how or tools or experience, then like I said any electronics guy should be able to help you out. Maybe check out your local college? Mine had a room with all the stuff you'd need to do this. They might let you borrow it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom