Processor incredibly Hot, what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be a bad thermal sensor on the board, the thermal sensor probably lies under the processor and the temperature it is reading comes from the thermal sensor on the board. If it truly is overheating then it is probably a failing thermal connection between the CPU die (cores) and the heat spreader since the thermal paste is good. It could be a failing board but the only way to test would be to use a different board.

Edit:
I don't know about the thermal diode, he mentioned in the first post that all 4 cores were reading high, so if just the thermal diode was failing only the one reading would be high (the sensor that flashes the red light is the board's CPU temp, which I think is under the socket). This is also the sensor that is shown in the BIOS.

Sorry guys I had went to sleep. I'm going to buy some thermal paste this afternoon and try that. Yes all the pins are connected and it's completely firm it doesn't wiggle and all the four legs are locked from the heat sync. It might have not started instantly, i've been running pretty choppy for the past few days I had only looked at the temperature yesterday. I don't know much about how it works, but maybe when I saw it was running hot and took the fan off that messed up any of the remaining thermal paste and now it's just way to hot?

Theres something horribly wrong, but, if the board is mis-reading what the processor is telling it, it could be going into this shutdown loop.

The possible cause, since the heatsink is cool to the touch, and the computer reports insainly high temps, and he had stuttering in game, is the IHS not making contact with the cores for some reason, but makes perfect contact with the heatsink, who knows, it could have been a crap job or faulty processor from the factory.

EDIT: It could be the thermal paste has gone bad, but, it shouldn't have as long as you never tried to re-use it for some reason... Always use new thermal paste, especially if the stock is wax based, which, I would hope intel would know to use a grease instead of a wax.

How could I try to reuse it? It's on the processor and heat sync. What is the IHS?

So I just turned my pc on and i watched the temperature go from 80 to 95 before i just turned it off it took around 30 seconds.

Yeah Im going to try and RMA the cpu once Intel gets back to me.

Edit: Oh wait No, calc upon re reading the posts, the heat sync was never hot to touch I meant the processor it's self was. When told to touch the heat sync I just thought about the processor not the heat sync for some reason. No the heat sync is never hot to touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom