Dead PC - Motherboard questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
My aunts PC would'nt turn on the other day so she brought it over for me to look at. I mostly just tinker with computers and do the occasional upgrade but figured that I could at least give it a try. The problem was that it just wouldn't turn on. They turned it off one night and the next morning it wouldn't turn on.

I got it home and opened it up and then plugged it in. When I had it plugged in the green light on the MB was on but pushing the power button yielded nothing. I then proceeded to unplug everything (not much BTW) and try again. Still nothing. I then tried a different power supply I had but it still wouldn't work.

From all of the above I am assuming it is the motherboard (not sure cause I'm a nooB). My main question is if you replace the MB do you have to reinstall the OS?. If it is going to take a while or be very costly they may just want to buy a new lower-end PC.

The PC is a Dell Dimension B110

CPU: 2.66 Ghz Celeron D
RAM: 512 MB
MB: Dell E210882

Thanks in advance!

What I meant about the OS was if I would get an exact replacement for the MB it and install it would I have to reinstall the OS. How do you clear the BIOS? Its something with taking the battery out right?

BTW: Thanks for the quick reply.

You should have to reinstall.

Yes it's the battery thing. Take it out and unplug the pc. Hit the power button a few times. Give it a minute. Put it all back and try again.

No problem bud.

I am going to go try it and come back in about 5 mins with results. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Clearing the BIOS had no effect. I am afraid it may be over for this PC. I asked her if they had recently done anything to it but she said they hadn't. I will probably have a thread asking for advice on new PCs soon(need to talk to them first).

Yeah they aren't really rich if you know what I mean. And my cousin had just gotten iTunes working on this PC:very_angry:. Would you say a jump from XP to Windows 7 (assuming they get a new PC with 7 on it) is really huge? They aren't the most computer literate.

Do you mean easier then XP? I'm assuming that's what you meant.

These forums are awesome. I made this thread at 9:05 and had a definite answer by 9:40. Thanks for your help Abstract Hero:thumbsup:!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom