Processor incredibly Hot, what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptkitty

Baseband Member
So my motherboard has a red light to indicate that my processor is hot. I realized this when i was lagging very bad in a game when i shouldn't be. Hd 5870, 6 gigs of ram ddr3, i7 930 processor had this pc for around a month, a few members here help me put it together. Now there are a ton of tiny green specs everywhere when i move my cursor over them they disappear and realtemp is reading my cores as 84 83 84 84 at 1.8% load what could possibly cause this?

Reapply thermal paste. Wipe it clean and start over. You may have put too much on there and/or the heatsink is not contacting with it well.

I haven't ever put thermal paste on it, there was some on the processor when i first got it. I just took my pc apart and put everything back on it and and the processor was very cool but the second i turn my pc on it seems to be over heating.

Dude, shut that pc off now, or risk permanent cpu damage!
Here get this :Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

If you get the heatsink your core i7 will respect you even more then it is doing now.. :) j/k
Seriously though in order to install this heat sink take the mobo out the case and install the bracket and heatsink on a table and fastened everthing togther, I had to do that with my artic freezer pro recently and that saved me alot of headaches.

Amen, that stuff that comes with it, is crap. That's how they keep their prices low. PLEASE follow our guidance. Don't want you to end up with a dead system.

Well this just started happening all of a sudden and now when i turn my pc on it just shuts off after a random small amount of time. Like 2 seconds to a minute so I stopped turning it on. I literally just got this pc under a month ago should it be doing this already?

Even with no thermal paste should it get that hot even when i'm not doing anything just idling

No, it should not be doing that, now who ever built your pc must have forgot the thermal paste.
Just to verify get a camera open up your case take the heatsink off gently and take a picture and post it back here promptly.
The reason why I ask this, 2 things I am checking for is thermal paste on cpu and if there are any burn marks.

If you have burn marks on your cpu, that could be a bad sign that your killing it by turning it on without any grease.
When I first built my computer back in 2001, I killed it by accident, reason being: thermal grease or paste, it was a nice 1.8ghz celeron... :(

I'm not saying i disbelieve you, I was simply ask if it could over heat like that with out anything going on. I just took it apart and there are no burn marks but i'll upload a picture, maybe I just didn't see any. Also I put my pc together i ordered all the parts put it together around midway through september and it's been running great up untill now when it seems to be over heating, i'll upload a picture soon

Edit and for the thermal paste i've never added any i just saw that there was some on it so I just figured that's what i needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom