Video Card for 1.6 GhZ P4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses08

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I want to get my rig ready for Half-Life 2. Obviously my rig is outdated and won't be able to use a lot of Half Life 2's fetures, but would a new graphics card help?

Here's my setup:

1.6 GhZ Pentium 4
512 MB Corsair RAM
GeForce4 MX 64MB Ram

Would a video card be worth it? Or would the processor just bottleneck it? I was thinking of buying this: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=608888&CatId=935

Suggestions? Comments?

I'd say go with a Radeon 9800 Pro or XT. I gather they have the edge over the GeForce FX series. Also another 512 megs of ram probably wouldn't hurt...

EDIT: Before anyone else asks, what motherboard do you have?

9800pro and a 2.8 800mhz FSB P4 would do you very very well in HL2

probably 100+fps

you may need a new Mobo for the new processor and if your current Motherboard is AGP4X you will need to replace is for the 9800pro as well or it'll run half crippled.

512 ram should be sufficient but if you want a 512 stick is only like 80 bucks

9800pro - 250$
512MB ram - 80$
new mobo 80$
new proc. ~170$

playing HL2 with over 100fps - priceless

(sorry had to do it)

that totals to about 600$ but youd be set for a couple years at least and you could always OC that 2.8 to 3.2 or 3.4 pretty easily

I love how people ask about a single simple upgrade and people start chaining an upgrade process together for them. Not trying to be an asshole, but since he said he was considering buying a $137 video card to help play HL2, I doubt he had spending $600 in mind...ya kno? But then again, you never know...:p

I just had to say something since I see this happening like EVERY day.

Thanks grego.

I can't afford more than a graphics card, period. What I'm asking is if I should bother upgrading my graphics card, since my processor will probaly bottleneck it anyway. I'm not going to go above $150 CDN for my graphics cards, because that's all I can afford. Will the new graphics card allow me to play HL2 on medium settings?

the 9800 pro will do you good, I had a 9700 pro and it worked pretty good on Counter-strike: source, which uses the Half-Life 2 engine, on medium settings. I got about 60-80 fps. However, high settings is a different story. Many will agree with me that, the 9800 pro gives you the bang for the buck.

yes but seriously dude, i would just set them at low settings so u dont get lag. becuase even if u do run them at medium it will be choppy and frames wont be that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom