Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Jillett

Beta member
Ok..

CPU- Intel® Core™ i7 980X
Heatsink- Corsair H50 - Opinion?
Mobo-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
RAM- Corsair Dominator GT- 6gb (need an explanation on all the latencies and such)
GPU- ASUS 6870 - 1gb
HDD- Wanting a good high speed low storage SSD for OS
Wanting a good high speed high storage HDD for everything else (7200 rpms)
PSU- Corsair AX 750
Case-CM 690 ii Advances
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Any help would be appreciated. :D

I thought some links might help sooooo

Heatsink - They now have a H70, Could possibly get your opinion between the two - Welcome to Corsair :: Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU Cooler Product Information
Mobo - ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
RAM - Welcome to Corsair :: Dominator® GT DDR2 and DDR3 Memory Kit Product Information
GPU - ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
PSU - Welcome to Corsair :: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 — 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Information
Case - CM 690 II Advanced - Cooler Master

If anyone could do a possible price add up. I do live in Australia, so please specify if its AU$ or American $'s

Could we get your budget? Looking at that it looks like you've got a high one. But if you're going with a 980X, I'd consider another cooling solution. The H70 isn't a bad cooler, but if you want to go water cooled and you want to overclock, I'd suggest an actual water cooling loop over that.

What will you be using your computer for? Its a nice setup, but depending what you use it for, you may want to get more storage.
TheOtis is right as well, water cooling would be a much better decision.

I can't say that I would recommend the H50 or the H70 either. I would either buy a "real" water-cooling setup or spend my money on a really nice heat sink.

The Asus P6T V2 is a great mobo but it's lacking support for the "new" usb 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s standards. The Asus P6X58D Premium would be a better choice.

The Corsair Dominator GT memory is excellent, but your paying a lot of money for the name Corsair. You would save money and your system would be just as fast if you bought OCZ or G.Skill memory. When looking at memory you want a high MHz value (1600 is faster than 1333) and a low latency is faster than a high latency ( 8 is faster than 9).

The "new" ATI 6870 is a mid-range card, the rest of your hardware is High-End. I would go with a ATI 5870 or a Nvidia GTX 480 or the ATI 5970.

SSD's, I would look at the 60GB OCZ Agility 2 or the 60GB G.Skill Phoenix Pro. My G.Skill review will be posted soon but here's a link to my OCZ review. http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/ocz-agility-2-60gb-ssd-236690/

Here's a link to my i7 overclocking guide, even if you don't overclock it can still help you.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/

wow - Thanks for the help all - Umm, I really cant say a budget, because this computer sadly probably wont happen until such time that this computer is a hunk of poop compared to that days technology. :D

Thanks for the tip with the mobo Slaymate, I will check that out and see if I like it, also thanks for the 6870 tip, shame though, cause ASUS' build is just sex on a card, I love the simplicity. I know the Corsair memory is crazily expensive, but how much more expensive would it be to a company like OCZ or G.Skill?

To Danielh15 - I dont think I am ever gunna use over 1tb of storage - and thats what I meant 'high storage' to mean, I hostly dont know why I didnt type the 1tb. :D Like I said above, this really is a dream machine, but with hardware like this, I would deffinatley be buying the intense games that my realistic computer build could never make, and lets face it, the realistic one isnt coming for atleast another year.. :D

Long post.. Finally - TheOtis - Can you recomend an actual water cooling loop? I dont know much about water cooling, wich was what attracted me to the H50 or H70.

Again - Thanks for all the help. :D

Actually.. 1 last thing, to Slaymate, I saught of did know that the 6870 was more of a midrange card, I think i just fell in love with the look.

I did however read somewhere that 2 6870's where as powerful if not slightly better than a 5970.

And - Whats your opinion on the Intel CPU / AMD (or ATI..) GPU??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom