Creative Labs SB Live Vs. Onboard 6-Channel Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Rescently i managed to scavange a sound blaster live 5.1 Mobel SB0060 out of an abandoned computer.

I am just trying to figure out wether or not it's going to be worth while installing this on Pzychob!tch with is currently running sound on the MoBo's AC'97 6 Channel Sound

So the question of the moment is :-
Wht is going to be better?
Do I put in the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 or continue using AC'97 6 Channel Sound

AND_YOU_ARE said:
Do you have 6 channel speakers?
No. Not connected to the computer in question. I do have some Logitech 6.1, but they are connected to my other PC as I tend you use that one for DVDs, MP3s and DivXs

I do have some "High Quality" Drive bay speakers this computer. I do realised that it's going to be a bit of waste of a card. But then again, I did not pay money of this card in the first place. :D

If its free, than go for it. If you are an audiophile, than you want the best sound. If you have the pci slot for it, what do you have to loose? The sbl card would provide this.

99% of the time, onboard sound stinks compared to any decent PCI sound card. That is why they make them. That is also why onboard video is not as good as a video card. Gamers must have a good vid card, just as ppl seeking high quality sound must have a sound card.

onboard sound is not bad, it is much better in standard than onboard video
but both onboard sound and video use the CPU as the GPU/SPU
IMO the SB live is a better card than any onboard sound, partially because you don't use the main CPU

Last night, I put the SB Live! 5.1 in. It works. And sound is much better (even on the $#!+ drive bay speakers)

SB Live Drivers can be a pain in the @$$ to install. This is the second time in about 1 week end the setup.exe in the universal SB Live Driver download (23Mb) did not want to detected the Sound Card.

Still, I hand to manually uncompress the EXE, and then manually install the drivers via the devise manager. Not too bad if you are some one that knows computer. But a real pain if you are only a novice or end user.

I also had some nice driver conflict with my existing AC'97 Sound Card too. But every thing was sweet after I removed the drivers.

I also seem to have 2 working MIDI Ports. PITTY as I have most of game controllers now are USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom