diy 24pin extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
if i just happen to have some extra soldering supplies, and wanted to extend my 24pin cable, could i just solder in some extra length of wire?

Theoretically it should work.
I cut one of the ends off of two Cat 5 cables and just matched up the pins to make the cable longer and that worked.

Yeah you can do that, I've done it to mine a few times, check the folding rig link in my sig and you'll see i had to do it for some of the cables. Better to replace the entire length of cable though from the psu...if you're going to void the warranty anways.

Just be carefull poking around in the psu, can be hazardous.

Otherwise, as slay mentioned, an extender is probably a better idea if you're not looking to do a bunch of other work. I usually end up sleeving my cables at the same time.

You can do it, no problem. Just make sure you use appropriate gauge wire because if you use thin wire it may overheat or burn up. Also make sure you make solid solder connections as weak solder joints could cause problems. I would recommend using heat-shrink tubing to cover and insulate your solder joints as it is more permanent and less messy than electrical tape. You will void the warranty on your PSU but if your PSU is out of warranty it isn't a big deal. If you take the PSU apart, first unplug and drain all the power you can, then let it sit for at least a few hours to let the high voltage input capacitors drain (every PSU I've ever opened has bleeder resistors to slowly drain the caps, but if yours doesn't it could store a powerful shock indefinitely).

If you have a broken PSU or some PSU wire laying around, I'd use that to splice the cable with as it is the appropriate gauge wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom