what kind of power unit do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsoL8

Solid State Member
Hello

I'm putting together a specification for a gaming pc, and I'm stuck on the power requirements. Here's my current spec:

cpu: Core i7
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-D2H
graphics: AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 6850 Graphics*
sound: cheap, Sound Blaster Audigy SE
ram: 8gb +, DDR3
internet: wireless card, cheap/mid
Power unit:
Cooling: Case inbuilt
Case: Antec Two Hundred RET Midi Case
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Advanced Format 3.5 SATA Internal
Hard Drive: HP - CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo drive - internal - 8x - 5.25" Slim Line - IDE - carbon

I've used a power calculator to find some sort of figure to work with and it comes back with about 550 watts, which seems steep. What power units should I be looking at for this configuration?

Since I've put it up, can anyone see potential problems with this setup? Anything I've missed?

Have you already bought the HDD? If not I recommend a WD Black. The Green series has low performance, 5400rpm, which makes it ideal for backups or data. For OS you should use a Black series, 7200rpm.

Do you really need 8GB? 4GB is enough for daily use and gaming. Usually 8GB are needed for video encoding or running VM. I would buy 4GB now and buy another 4GB if it's needed.

Everything else looks good.

Have you already bought the HDD? If not I recommend a WD Black. The Green series has low performance, 5400rpm, which makes it ideal for backups or data. For OS you should use a Black series, 7200rpm.

Do you really need 8GB? 4GB is enough for daily use and gaming. Usually 8GB are needed for video encoding or running VM. I would buy 4GB now and buy another 4GB if it's needed.

Everything else looks good.

To be honest I haven't researched HDD thoroughly - I went with the green series because of lower power consummation - and I'm not familiar with what makes a high end HDD anyway. (just to be clear, this is my first build). What RPM does an average HDD use these days?

I'm going with 8gb basically so I don't get an underpowered power unit. It's what I want ideally but I may reduce that to 6 or 4 when I nail down the prices for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom