Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

I've already done that, its just the FF14 beta, and eve online require a space dump to the default c drive. I've gotten around it by just uninstalling everything, installing those to another hdd, and putting my adobe suite and whatnot back on the ssd. It's just a big inconvenience, though not big enough to put w7 back on a conventional drive.

Have to take the pros with the cons. If you must move this stuff via a registry hack, then it will be done system wide, not just for those games.

Wait, so via registry, changing it over would make the other hdd the "local c" drive act in the same way the current ssd does? That is exactly what I want, all I want is to have the SSD run windows, so it boots fast and everything is nice and zippy, but those games, dvd maker, steam (occasionally, don't really understand how it decides) and a few others use the c drive unnecessarily. So by the end up the day my ssd has over a gb or so of temp files added on to it before I restart and they're cleared. If the registry edit would make programs treat the normal hdd as the windows local drive (even though windows is installed on the ssd) then its what I'm looking for.

You can change the "my documents", "downloads" etc folders to a different location.
All you have to do is right click -> properties -> location
change-my-documents-directory.png

Then just cut and paste everything into the folder you change it to.

Wait, so via registry, changing it over would make the other hdd the "local c" drive act in the same way the current ssd does? That is exactly what I want, all I want is to have the SSD run windows, so it boots fast and everything is nice and zippy, but those games, dvd maker, steam (occasionally, don't really understand how it decides) and a few others use the c drive unnecessarily. So by the end up the day my ssd has over a gb or so of temp files added on to it before I restart and they're cleared. If the registry edit would make programs treat the normal hdd as the windows local drive (even though windows is installed on the ssd) then its what I'm looking for.

No changing it via the Registry would for everything to operate off of your SATA Drive. Which is NOT what you want cause it would force everything that Windows needs to be moved there. What is the point of having an SSD if you are just going to move it to an SATA Drive.

You seem to be confused by my statements. Let me make this clear. If you force the change it will happen SYSTEM WIDE. Meaning EVERYTHING will operate off of the mechanical drive, including for the most part Windows. Anything new installed would go on the mechanical drive NOT the SSD. You can NOT force 2 programs and only 2 programs to switch the drive. It is not possible. So unless you plan on making absolutely NO changes to the system while you play these 2 games, including Windows Updates, then you can not use this Registry change. As everything from that point on will operate off of the mechanical drive.

Doing this Registry Change will force Windows to move all of its files to the mechanical drive cause that is where you state it should be. It will operate off of the mechanical drive for everything. Not just for the 2 items you want. Which leads me right back to my very first response and statement. You would completely defeat the purpose of having a SSD drive for the quick access time. As Windows would be operating off of a mechanical drive at that point. You would be better served formatting and reinstalling on a mechanical drive than trying to force this Registry change.

You can change the "my documents", "downloads" etc folders to a different location.
All you have to do is right click -> properties -> location
change-my-documents-directory.png

Then just cut and paste everything into the folder you change it to.

2 posts above. He already did this. He wants just 2 items to use a different location which would force it to happen system wide.

I don't want just the two items to use a different location, I'd like ALL of any new programs to use say my G drive as the default "local drive". It's not the files on there that are the problem, its just I've been running into programs that use it as a space dump more frequently. But if doing via registry causes windows itself to run off of a conventional drive than that's not what I'd like.

Is there a way to just make my profile run off another hdd? Lots of stuff gets thrown into the AppData folder it seems, that would at least be a half solution.

That would be the same situation. I will look into it on some Microsoft sites and see if i can come up with a solution for you.

Microsoft Releases Windows 7 Corruption HotFix

Microsoft
has released a hotfix for a serious issue in Windows 7 that is affecting users with hard drives that have a larger storage capacity than 2 Terabytes. While that may only be a minority of users, the impact of the bug can be fatal on affected systems. Computer systems running Windows 7, or Windows [...]

Download Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Release Candidate

Register for Download and Guided Evaluation

bb291020.tick_mark(en-us,MSDN.10).jpg

Review Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 system requirements and the frequently asked questions
(FAQ)

Register for evaluation

Download and install RC software

Receive an email with resources to guide you

Question on the RC? Please visit the SP1 Forum for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 or the Windows Server 2008 R2 Migration & Deployment Forum for
additional guidance

There are several download options available. If you are unsure which version
is right for your system, please consult the FAQ.

Please click the “GET STARTED NOW” button to learn about the languages
available for your operating system.

Download without Registering - No Guided Experience

By registering for the Service Pack 1 RC, you will receive
updates on new builds and RC expiration dates. You are encouraged to register,
but if you wish, you can opt out of registration and proceed directly to the
download. If you choose to opt-out of registration, you will not be contacted
further.

Each version is available in these languages: English,
French, German, Japanese and Spanish.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 RC helps
keep your PCs and servers on the latest support level, provides ongoing
improvements to the Windows Operating System (OS), includes previous updates
delivered over Windows Update as well as continuing incremental updates to the
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 platforms based on customer and partner
feedback, and is easy for organizations to deploy a single set of updates.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 RC will help you:

• Keep your PCs supported and up-to-date
  • Get ongoing updates to the Windows 7 platform
  • Easily deploy cumulative updates at a single time
  • Meet your users' demands for greater business mobility
  • Provide a comprehensive set of virtualization innovations
  • Provide an easier Service Pack deployment model for better IT
    efficiency
In order to download and install the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
RC, you must currently have a Release to Manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
already installed.

To learn more about piloting, deploying and managing Windows 7, visit the Springboard Series on TechNet.

To learn more about SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2, visit the SP1 Details Page.

Windows 7 Minimum System Requirements:

• 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 GB of RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  • DVD-compatible drive
  • Internet access (fees may apply)
Note: Some product features of Windows 7, such as the ability to watch
and record live TV, BitLocker, or navigation through the use of “touch,” may
require advanced or additional hardware. Windows XP Mode requires an additional
1 GB of RAM and 15 GB of available disk space.

Back
Top Bottom