Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taijis

Solid State Member
I have just built a new computer and it is working great. The only problem is my wireless connection is slow. I live upstairs exactly diagonally to where the wireless router is in my house. I have an old Linkysys router, its one of those WRTG or something like that. I have purchased this wireless adapter thinking it would be stronger than my old one but it is not. Newegg.com - Linksys AE1000 IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter WPA/WPA2 Personal
WPA /WPA2 Enterprise

If I buy a 50 - 70$ Wireless N router from Linksys will the range of the wireless be better than my current router? I know that my router has antennas but the new Wireless N ones do not. Will N be faster than G?

Hold up for a minute.

Get a USB extension cable, like this one. Now take a medium sized mixing bowl (round bottom) and flip it over. Get some aluminum foil and cover the bowl with about three layers, molding it tot he shape of the bowl (making a parabolic dish out of the foil). Once you have it made, take the foil dish and cut a hole in the bottom of it big enough for the female end of the extension cable to come through. Put it through, making sure that the foil does not touch the metal of the cable end, then tape it there. Hook the cable up to your computer and hook your adapter up in the dish (use enough tape to hold the adapter up straight). Now aim it at your router and see if you don't get a great signal.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom