Need Some Advice On My First Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

motostu93

Baseband Member
Alright so im looking to build up a new system and need to help/advice. Ive been doing quite a bit of reading and im not 100% sure and what i want or even what i really need. I think id like to go with intel(i7) but not 100% set on that, also i cant for the life of me decide to go with ATI or Nvidia. hoping i can pull of a i7, x58 board, and 6 gigs of ram.

Here is what im looking at right now. Suggestion or a whole recommended build would be awesome.

Zalman Z7 Gaming Case
Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor 4x 3.06GHz (or AMD?)
6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 (what brand?)
ATI Radeon HD 5830 - 1GB (Nvidia?)
MSI X58 PRO-E
700 watt PSU (how many watts would i actually need? what brands?)
WD 1TB
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE (or just the on-board? good enough?)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (can i use the vista basic that came with my dell 530?)

Suggestion, Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Heres my recomend.

-Case Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - For extra 20 bucks you got much better cooling than the Zalman
- Good CPU i have one my self, still in the midst of overclocking it. very fast at stock too
- Mother Board Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard -Good Mobo for the price and its 10 extra bucks, with much better memory support
- MEmory Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - they work great i have them my self and its cheap
- Video card - go for the GTX 460 , youll save some money and get better performance
- PSU Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - good PSU will be good for future upgrades
- WD Caviar black i recommend
- DVD writer, any really theyre like 30$ anyways lol i like ASUS my self
-Sounds card, depends what you will be doing, im certainly please with the on board im not that much of a sound freak
- Windows is up to you i would go with Windows 7 but if its out of your budget go with something else.

Heres my recomend.

-Case Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - For extra 20 bucks you got much better cooling than the Zalman
- Good CPU i have one my self, still in the midst of overclocking it. very fast at stock too
- Mother Board Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard -Good Mobo for the price and its 10 extra bucks, with much better memory support
- MEmory Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - they work great i have them my self and its cheap
- Video card - go for the GTX 460 , youll save some money and get better performance
- PSU Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - good PSU will be good for future upgrades
- WD Caviar black i recommend
- DVD writer, any really theyre like 30$ anyways lol i like ASUS my self
-Sounds card, depends what you will be doing, im certainly please with the on board im not that much of a sound freak
- Windows is up to you i would go with Windows 7 but if its out of your budget go with something else.
Different case? I need it to have a flat top because my printer sits on top of the case.

Anyone else?

So i did some more research and got some pointers and opinions from you guys (thanks). So here is what ive come up with.

Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
APEVIA ATX-AQ700W-BK 700W ATX12V
EVGA GeForce GTX 460
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner

Just a question about the mobo, not sure if this is the one for me. I really am not sure what one is good. I like the idea of USB 3 and the SATA 6.Gb/s so i can use the faster HDD.

Is the PSU good?

ohh and the total shipped from newegg is $1,191.40 (with Win 7 home prem)

Let me know what you think.

Nothing over the top with regards to gaming. CSS, CODMW, and Flight sim x. alot of photo editing with cs5 and lr5. so i think the 460 will do.

i have a 27" sceptre screen 1920 x 1080p. Is the 460 with only 768mb enough or should i really get the 1gb?

Do not,and I repeat, DO NOT go with Cooler Master or Apevia for a PSU. Get a good solid brand that won't die and take half your stuff with it, like Antec, Corsair, FSP Group, or even OCZ.

Be sure to look for combos on NewEgg. You should be able to shave a few bucks off using them.

Do not,and I repeat, DO NOT go with Cooler Master or Apevia for a PSU. Get a good solid brand that won't die and take half your stuff with it, like Antec, Corsair, FSP Group, or even OCZ.

Be sure to look for combos on NewEgg. You should be able to shave a few bucks off using them.
What PSU would you recommend, im on a budget remember.

What do you guys think of upgrading to a GTX 465. Seems like there are quite a bit better than the 460 and not much more $.
Mostly going to be playing Flight Sim X, will my setup be good enough?

Corsair PSU it is. 650 watt should be enough?

Anyone one else recommend any other changes?

And what about Firewire? Does the Mobo support i or have it built in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom